Why become a member? ×

Help finding model of my Status Graphite

LouieM

Hello there everyone. I have a lovely Status Graphite from 1991 i believe and I am unsure of what model it is. It was listed as a Matrix 4 but when i look those up the neck doesn't go all the way through to the bridge. This makes me suspect that it is a different model. If anyone has an idea that'd be great, thank you :)

F1.thumb.jpg.5181d7d7826e32ece1d2522f25732d47.jpg

12 hours ago, fleabag said:

There was also a Matrix with soapbars, albeit still single coils

Matrix 1.jpeg

Ha, I had to Google it but found it explained in an old review that's on Statii: apparently the designation "Matrix" was used for the headed bases. There were a Matrix Series I (which includes @LouieM's bass, which is a rare JJ version when most had PJ pickups). Then there's a Matrix Series II, which is essentially a headed version of the Series II, and a Matrix Empathy which is like the Series II but with matching facings on the back of the body and overall more luxurious. 

The one above is currently for sale at Bass Connection in the Netherlands: https://reverb.com/item/13590017-status-matrix-series-ii-bubinga 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

Ha, I had to Google it but found it explained in an old review that's on Statii: apparently the designation "Matrix" was used for the headed bases. There were a Matrix Series I (which includes @LouieM's bass, which is a rare JJ version when most had PJ pickups). Then there's a Matrix Series II, which is essentially a headed version of the Series II, and a Matrix Empathy which is like the Series II but with matching facings on the back of the body and overall more luxurious. 

The one above is currently for sale at Bass Connection in the Netherlands: https://reverb.com/item/13590017-status-matrix-series-ii-bubinga 

You know, I was thinking exactly that earlier about Matrix being headed, but wasn’t sure if my memory was correct. 

11 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

Interesting price.  I think i sold mine to the BC member who originally sold it to me, for what i paid which was less than £1000,  a year ago, or thereabouts

39 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

sooo what you're saying is that my status is a matrix series I and rare 🤔

6 hours ago, fleabag said:

Interesting price.  I think i sold mine to the BC member who originally sold it to me, for what i paid which was less than £1000,  a year ago, or thereabouts

Yes, that price is crazy. I paid €1300 for my S2 Classic 4 in 2017, and I traded a Stingray 5 + €100 for my S2 Classic 5 a few months later. They're a lot more plain than this one (both solid finishes, bolt-on and headless) but still I think the price of that Matrix Series II is quite steep.

5 hours ago, LouieM said:

sooo what you're saying is that my status is a matrix series I and rare 🤔

It is a Matrix Series I, and that pickup configuration appears to be unusual as most that turn up on Google have PJ pickups. 

I used to have one of these and had always referred to it as a Status Matrix bass. It remains the case that Status were a bit haphazard in the 90's with their changing range of models and options. Most people think of the Matrix as being finished in black with the P/J pickups though evidently there were a number of different models and options. 

I quite liked mine though it wasn't quite up there with the S1 Stealth and the late 80's Series II that I had.