Why become a member? ×

Fender American Special P Bass Thoughts

dmc79

Hi,

Just wanting some thoughts from anyone who owns or has played one of the ‘American Special’ P basses from the 2010s. 

A bit of searching and it seems they were kind of somewhere inbetween a MIM and an MIA. Top loading bridge & a slimmer neck than a P normally has, but no rolled fretboard edges and not quite the usual MIA refinements. 

I saw a rig rundown featuring Mark Shue of Guided By Voices and he raved about the necks on the American Specials. He likes that neck so much that he went to the trouble of upgrading the tuners, bridge and pickups, and uses it as his main bass with an American Standard as a backup. 

Really curious about these, so thanks in advance for any input. 

Thanks for the replies. I haven’t noticed any come up on here or eBay recently though haven’t exactly been looking for long. Not sure if that indicates that it was a limited run or that they’re so good that owners don’t want to part with them. 

Just been reading some threads elsewhere too and the popular opinion was that those who tried both would take a used American Standard over a new American Special. Oh well, just a bit of GAS / gear lust curiosity on my part.