Why become a member? ×

Note Names

Eight

[quote name='Eight' post='499987' date='May 28 2009, 04:08 PM']Great posts guys.

No bar lines makes a lot of sense to me.

So I'll add to my reform of standard notation by removing them.[/quote]

You could remove rhythm altogether...

[quote name='Eight' post='499987' date='May 28 2009, 04:08 PM']Great posts guys.

No bar lines makes a lot of sense to me.

So I'll add to my reform of standard notation by removing them.[/quote]
Its actually a nightmare to work with- my girlfriend did part of her music degree in editing German renaissance choral music- the kind of stuff posted above. As part of this I had to help her transcribe them into modern notation, and its impossible to tell where you are without counting notes or looking for particular figures. It's also a total PITA to do in computer notation.

They did use breves (and some longer notes) though...

[quote name='dlloyd' post='500731' date='May 29 2009, 11:47 AM']I love the directions in this one... Release the penguins![/quote]
:) :rolleyes: :lol:

That's one of the funniest things I've ever seen! (...in a music-geek kind of way) I love that chord just before letter J.

And the "mute in... mute out... mute in... sell mute". :D

[quote name='dlloyd' post='500731' date='May 29 2009, 11:47 AM']I love the directions in this one... Release the penguins!

(It might not be entirely real though)[/quote]
Here's page 2 (possibly).

Also, on a similar note, I saw a piece by Brian Ferneyhough which was in 4/12. That just about caused a riot when I queried it over on TalkBass.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='501228' date='May 29 2009, 08:51 PM']Here's page 2 (possibly).

Also, on a similar note, I saw a piece by Brian Ferneyhough which was in 4/12. That just about caused a riot when I queried it over on TalkBass.[/quote]

yes but a 12th of what :rolleyes: :)

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='501228' date='May 29 2009, 08:51 PM']Also, on a similar note, I saw a piece by Brian Ferneyhough which was in 4/12. That just about caused a riot when I queried it over on TalkBass.[/quote]

:)

I read the original thread... pretty funny.

It's an irrational time signature. It could probably be notated differently, but whether it would be simpler to do that for musicians who are familiar with contemporary classical... I don't know.

The beat is a twelfth of a semibreve, so it's the same as a quaver triplet.

Notate it as (4/3)/8?

What note values did he use?

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='501835' date='May 30 2009, 06:45 PM']I honestly can't recall- it was passed around in a lecture, I can't even recall if we actually listened to it or not. I think the simplest way to do it would be to just change the speed but no doubt there's a good reason for it...[/quote]

Was that at the Royal Academy? I have a few friends who studied there.