Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Affirma new v old

alembic1989

Has anyone compared the old & new Ibanez Affirma basses?

Are there significant differences I  quality,  tone, spec?

I've always wanted a fretless 4/5

But they're rare & expensive..was thinking of defretting a modern one...IF they're just as good as the old ones.

Anybody?

Edited by alembic1989

The original AFRs were made in Japan, reissues seem to be from Indonesia.

AFR's serial is in the abalone insert between the piezo bridge and the magnetic pickup.

The old 4 has a detuner bridge (E), which is missing from the newer ones.

My understanding is that the originals have ebony fretboards.

What I do not always like is the sharp lower horn while playing sitting down. I do like the light weight. The playability has been impeccable within those two I have owned (previously a fretted flame maple 4, now a fretless 5). I have not been able to try a new one.

I think few custom fretless instruments were built to Percy Jones.

There was a line of basses made from luthite in between these two wooden series. The construction and the electronics were cheaper.

• Like 1

The new ones have a different bridge, and a swift perusal of the Ibanez site reveals no sign of 2 of the controls that the EDAs (referenced by @itu) and, presumably,  the mk1 AFRs had;

A master piezo output for level matching with the magnetic pickup circuit.

A bass tone control for the piezo pickup. The Treble half was on the front. 

The new AFR seems only to sport a knob designated as being the "piezo tone control".

The possibility exists that the Ibanez site is not entirely accurate.  I'd have to get hold of a new AFR to be sure that it hasn't got the aforementioned controls. 

I have an EDA900 that I purchased on here. I'd echo the earlier comments about playability and light weight/ balance.

Have you considered finding one of these and defretting it? Surely cheaper than doing it to a new AFR, and I reckon it'd at least get close, in spite of the lack of "woodiness". Some flats or tapewounds might help warm it up a bit.

20210331_072533.jpg

Edited by Lfalex v1.1
Stuck an image of the EDA900 in for comparison in case you're not familiar..

I would echo the above about the EDA 900. It fits like a glove, and plays really well. The piezo was very warm, not too harsh or brittle, and the magnetic pickup gave a lovely P bass tone. 

I actually hated this shape of bass, really disliked it on sight, till I saw one in orange metallic, then it all 'made sense'. There's one on eBay at the moment, right colour, wrong price...

16 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

The new ones have a different bridge, and a swift perusal of the Ibanez site reveals no sign of 2 of the controls that the EDAs (referenced by @itu) and, presumably,  the mk1 AFRs had;

A master piezo output for level matching with the magnetic pickup circuit.

A bass tone control for the piezo pickup. The Treble half was on the front. 

The new AFR seems only to sport a knob designated as being the "piezo tone control".

The possibility exists that the Ibanez site is not entirely accurate.  I'd have to get hold of a new AFR to be sure that it hasn't got the aforementioned controls. 

I have an EDA900 that I purchased on here. I'd echo the earlier comments about playability and light weight/ balance.

Have you considered finding one of these and defretting it? Surely cheaper than doing it to a new AFR, and I reckon it'd at least get close, in spite of the lack of "woodiness". Some flats or tapewounds might help warm it up a bit.

20210331_072533.jpg

That’s a good idea.

thanks.

A further analysis reveals that the AFRs (old and new) are set out in a more Vol, Balance, tone manner, whereas the EDAs are closer to a VVTT set-up.

Both are, of course, active with a magnetic pickup and piezo bridge.

Played the EDA this evening.  I'd forgotten how good it is once it's well set-up.

• Like 1