Why become a member? ×

Newb-Like Amp Quandary... Tube or SS?? Seeking Perspective.

Count Bassie

This is going to be taken as a newb question, and really it should be. I'm just trying to clear out the rubble in my head so I'm throwing this on the table.

I have a Peavey MK-III, refurbished and rocking like you read about. I'm running it into SWR cabs, a G-II and a Bag End-loaded Big Ben.
I used to have, and am now looking at a Fender Bassman Pro 300 (Sunn 300T).
If I want the 300 I have to sell the Peavey, and another head, and fill in the balance with $. The seller seems willing to deal with what I've got to do.

My question is, what should I do?
Newb-City! Right??

I love the sound I'm getting from the Peavey, even though it does get a little mushy down low- not entirely super-tight. But it's definitely an old-school punch-you-in-the-face tone, which I like. But, I remember the 300T I used to have, and that was pretty danged stellar, and I've had tubes before (V4-B, SVT, Sunn 300T), and honestly, that's where it's at. That's where my sound lived, and I miss it.

So I'm just looking for some perspective from someone who's got experience with this stuff, and who's coming from outside my head here. Thanks for your time.

I can only offer you this.

I have moved from Bass 400 to Bass 400+ (both all valve) to M-Pulse 600 (valve/mos-fet) through to TT800 (valve/digital) without losing my core sound (to my ears). Do not fear the change. Of course, I have kept it 'in the family' so there's common dna, but I have proved (to myself) that you won't lose any of the punch.

I'm a fan of valve heads  and have a couple of them. I sometimes gig with them but usually take a solid state class ab head instead. I prefer the valve sound but not usually by enough to compensate for the weight,  fragility and hassle. If I had to gave one head it would be a good solid state one.  Of course I'd want to keep both if I were you.

Edited by Tdw

21 minutes ago, Tdw said:

I'm a fan of valve heads  and have a couple of them. I sometimes gig with them but usually take a solid state class ab head instead. I prefer the valve sound but not usually by enough to compensate for the weight,  fragility and hassle. If I had to gave one head it would be a good solid state one.  Of course I'd want to keep both if I were you.

I'll still have the SWR Bass 350 (red face) to go with the SWR cabs, so there's that. I agree that a SS head is a good working amp, but I'm all about inspiration at this point...

Edited by Count Bassie

28 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

I can only offer you this.

I have moved from Bass 400 to Bass 400+ (both all valve) to M-Pulse 600 (valve/mos-fet) through to TT800 (valve/digital) without losing my core sound (to my ears). Do not fear the change. Of course, I have kept it 'in the family' so there's common dna, but I have proved (to myself) that you won't lose any of the punch.

I have always said that the only person who really cares what you play through is you, lol...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

I had hoped I was just giving you some of the perspective you asked for. Did I miss something?

No! I wasn't trying to come off as snarky, I could have been more clear in saying that my particular quest is more personal in nature- I'm trying to re-up some inspiration, in part to take a shot at doing right by some old mistakes.

No, in earnest I appreciate your contribution, thank you.

Edited by Count Bassie
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Not reasons.

'Fancied a change' is a reason. Likewise 'got offered a real bargain', 'had too much stuff', 'had to make rent' etc, and/or combinations.

The SVT went because I was worried about the potential expense of tubes and maintenance. I was a new import to Rhode Island from Miami, where everyone wants to scalp you. I was living on my lousy paycheck and didn't want to be caught short.

The Sun 300T went, years later, because it was a hard year and I had two young daughters who were going to need to have a Christmas... Here that means spending...

I'm not sure either were great reasons.

Edited by Count Bassie
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Count Bassie said:

The SVT went because I was worried about the potential expense of tubes and maintenance. I was a new import to Rhode Island from Miami, where everyone wants to scalp you. I was living on my lousy paycheck and didn't want to be caught short.

The Sun 300T went, years later, because it was a hard year and I had two young daughters who were going to need to have a Christmas... Here that means spending...

I'm not sure either were great reasons.

Sounds like decisions made by a grown up to me!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Count Bassie said:

I'll still have the SWR Bass 350 (red face) to go with the SWR cabs, so there's that. I agree that a SS head is a good working amp, but I'm all about inspiration at this point...

In that case valve's sound like a good move

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Sounds like decisions made by a grown up to me!

Yeah, I suppose. But the loss of the SVT was felt, that direct-out was a thing of beauty going to tape. A little dash of ambition would've saved it. 

The 300T, well, I bought a stupefying pile of presents and paid a couple bills. That one went to a better cause.

Edited by Count Bassie

When I first turned on my first tube amp it felt like there was a sharp fanged wild animal lurking inside.

On the other hand, you may remember JimmyM doing a poll on Talkbass. Gain matched tracks run through a VT pedal vs a RedDI. 3/4 picked correctly, which is abysmal considering 1/2 would pick correctly by random selection.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bunion said:

How about an SVP Pro or SVT IIP they

come up for a reasonable price now and again and you could use your setup as the power side 

Are you suggesting just getting a tube preamp instead of the Pro 300?

Lol, I just re read my reply, and of course you are... And it's not a bad idea. I really don't have the bread to do this easily and a heavy tube pre is an interesting thought.

Also a friend is offering me a Rickenbacker 4001s in super nice condition for almost the same $...

I don't *need* any of this stuff...

Edited by Count Bassie
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Count Bassie said:

Lol, I just re read my reply, and of course you are... And it's not a bad idea. I really don't have the bread to do this easily and a heavy tube pre is an interesting thought.

And yet, the point is the tube power section, isn't it... KT-120s... 🥲

Edited by Count Bassie

On 30/12/2021 at 00:08, Count Bassie said:

It's the way I went. :)

Two space 2KW capable Stereo Class D Power amp and I built a two channel tube  pre-amp for it. In it's four space SKB road case I can lift it with just two fingers! The system sounds wonderful through a pair of Acme B2 2x10 three way cabinets.

Edited by BassmanPaul
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

It's the way I went. :)

Two space 2KW capable Stereo Class D Power amp and I built a two channel tube  pre-amp for it. In it's four space SKB road case I can lift it with just two fingers! The system sounds wonderful through a pair of Acme B2 2x10 three way cabinets.

I got a Fender Bassman 300 Pro. 75 lbs, KT-120s, transformer mod, and (eventually) a *pair* of SWR Big Ben 18s. I'm gonna stay ripped and psyched into my 80s, lol... 🤣😁 

That's super-cool that you made your own preamp though!

My sense of humor sometimes wanders through barren places.

Edited by Count Bassie
  • Haha 1