Why become a member? ×

Why do people do this to basses?

[quote name='Paul_C' post='456269' date='Apr 7 2009, 11:37 AM']

[/quote]

IIRC Billy sat down with a Dremel tool in a hotel room and did that scalloping himself. Funny but if he put that bass up for sale I don't think many people would be asking what kind of fool would do that to a bass... in fact had the seller of the bass in the OP been a 'name' player and that bass was his main tool we'd probably be arguing that the start price was way too low and we'd be worried that it was a scam. As an aside; back around 1980 I had a late 60's Jazz and you have no idea how quickly I binned the cr*ppy tuners, bridge and pups and installed Di Marzios etc. It's all about perspective! :)

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='457362' date='Apr 8 2009, 01:35 PM']Well I think it looks pretty cool.

If you said to some people "Don't do that, it'll effect the resale price" they may say to you "So what? I bought this bass to play, not to sell".[/quote]

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='457374' date='Apr 8 2009, 01:51 PM']IIRC Billy sat down with a Dremel tool in a hotel room and did that scalloping himself. Funny but if he put that bass up for sale I don't think many people would be asking what kind of fool would do that to a bass... in fact had the seller of the bass in the OP been a 'name' player and that bass was his main tool we'd probably be arguing that the start price was way too low and we'd be worried that it was a scam. As an aside; back around 1980 I had a late 60's Jazz and you have no idea how quickly I binned the cr*ppy tuners, bridge and pups and installed Di Marzios etc. It's all about perspective! :)[/quote]

Those are good points. OK, maybe my reply to MB1 was a bit OTT, but I find it amazing that people are criticising the guy who made the mods. They should be thanking him!!! Fender stopped being innovative around the time Leo left. There was no way anything as "revolutionary" as a P/J was going to come from that company in the 70s, and in fact, it took them to the mid 80s to finally release a P/J model, and even then, it came from Fender Japan, not the US company.

Bassists in the 60s and 70s simply didn't have the options available to us today, so they improvised with what was available and made the best tools they could. Without those improvisations, a lot of the features we take for granted today simply wouldn't exist.

[quote name='bassaussie' post='457350' date='Apr 8 2009, 01:24 PM']That's a very interesting point, and I'd like to address this.

I'm not a regular contributor to this forum, however, I've noticed that you're a person who likes to contribute to a lot of the Ebay threads, as well as quite a few of the For Sale threads. With that in mind, I would assume you have a fairly wide knowledge of the basses that are available to us in the current market.

Do you think it's possible that, at some point in between the time these modifications were done and today, that various bass models have appeared in the market place that have now made this bass, with it's modifications, somewhat redundant? That maybe the seller has now found a bass that does a better job than this bass, and meets his requirements more suitably? That maybe the market has actually caught up with the needs he has from a bass?

Naturally, I'll add a :rolleyes: , so that you know I'm not trying to ridicule your post. In fact, I'll add another :D so that you know we're just funnin' with one another![/quote]

Oh dear. This is a bass forum. To discuss anything members find interesting about basses. You might not like the way it's being discussed but why is it your job to put everyone right? What a hero you are.

Not that I'm trying to ridicule your post of course (so here's a smiley :)) but it's full of the kind of whiny schoolboy sarcasm that makes TalkBass such an unpleasant place to visit.

[quote name='bassaussie' post='457350' date='Apr 8 2009, 01:24 PM']That's a very interesting point, and I'd like to address this.

I'm not a regular contributor to this forum, however, I've noticed that you're a person who likes to contribute to a lot of the Ebay threads, as well as quite a few of the For Sale threads. With that in mind, I would assume you have a fairly wide knowledge of the basses that are available to us in the current market.

Do you think it's possible that, at some point in between the time these modifications were done and today, that various bass models have appeared in the market place that have now made this bass, with it's modifications, somewhat redundant? That maybe the seller has now found a bass that does a better job than this bass, and meets his requirements more suitably? That maybe the market has actually caught up with the needs he has from a bass?

Naturally, I'll add a :rolleyes: , so that you know I'm not trying to ridicule your post. In fact, I'll add another :D so that you know we're just funnin' with one another![/quote]

MB1. :)
Thats a very interesting point,and i'd like to address this.
I am a regular contributor to this forum,and ive noticed that youre a person who apparently doesnt like anybody having a opinion that differs to there own.
I do have a fair knowledge of basses old and new,as i said in an earlier thread...."Each to there own!"....I reserve the right to have an opinion,Not my cup of Tea, but i hope you'll be very happy with your new acquisition.......Naturally I've added this! ;)

Edited by MB1

[quote name='donhills' post='455609' date='Apr 6 2009, 04:04 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1972-Fender-Precision-p-bass-Hotrod-special-Vintage_W0QQitemZ220391190221QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item220391190221&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1972-Fender-Precisio...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url][/quote]

MB1. :)
...Because They Can Don! :rolleyes:

is it me or are the knobs wierdly placed? im sure the first knob is further away from the other two knobs?

EDIT: oops, just realised hes obviously squeezed that third knob in between the jack socket and the second knob

Edited by LWTAIT