Why become a member? ×

Power supply recommendations

Mudpup

Santa is treating me to a new power supply for my Nux Bumblebee pedalboard so I'm looking for the Basschat wisdom givers to point me in the right direction please. 

I need a minimum of 8 outputs, a 12v option , isolated and ideally a proper mains lead. 

Is there any benefit in spending over £100 on a branded one as opposed to £40 on a generic Chinese jobbie like a Caline or Joyo? 

I bought a Palmer PWT 12 from Gear 4 music for £121.

12 isolated outputs, 8 x 9v, 300mA each output and 4 variable from 6 to 18v, 500mA each.

Works a treat. Only issue, it comes with a 'wall wart' psu with the 2 pin euro plug. I just use an adapter but it's not really a problem.

• Like 1

I'd avoid cheap ones that don't have indivuidually isolated outputs (they can make pedals noisy), and if you're relying on it to power all your pedals at gigs it's probably worth spending that bit extra for something reliable.

The Harley Benton ISO 10AC has worked well for me, it's £95 so on the mid-range cost of these things but has all of the things more expensive ones have:

• 10 individually isolated power points (some cheaper ones don't have each output individually isolated but still sell as 'isolated' power supply), no noise. Also a USB power out.
  • 9/12/18v options for 4 of the outputs (each 450mA). And they are switches- I always think the ones with small pots to turn are asking for trouble.
  • High current (500mA) for two of the outputs so can do things like combine them to power a Helix Stomp, and four are 250mA.
  • It's got standard kettle lead to power it which I think it a big positive as it's a tough and standard sort of cable that's easily replaced and isn't a massive lump to carry about, and it's easy to get longer ones etc. or if it gets forgotten at a gig it's likely there will be another one around.
  • Fairly low profile to go under pedalboards.

There is a slightly cheaper Harley Benton ISO 12 which initially seems better seeing as it has 12x outputs but it doesn't have a kettle lead to power it, doesn't have USB power out, and it has the LEDs on top which could make sticking it flush under a pedalboard a hassle.

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1