Why become a member? ×

Status Streamline (IV)

Lfalex v1.1

Ordered on 06/01/09. Collected on 30/03/09. Cost £1483 due to some requested modifications, plus some straplocks.

[i][b]Features:[/b][/i]
I think the images help to demonstrate the design elements better than I could describe them. The whole instrument is a one-piece monocoque of woven carbon fibre. It [i]does[/i] have a truss rod in the neck (Accessed at the body end) to allow the neck to be adjusted
The Streamline is active only, and runs an 18v sysyem.It uses Status' own "Board 701" Eq, which gives a boost/cut +/-13dB @ 7KHz for Treble and 14dB @ 120Hz for Bass.
The controls for tone are the stacked ones. The other two are: Master Volume (Central) and Pickup Pan (Nearest the neck) For some reason I find these counter-intuitive, and am forever changing the pan control rather than adjusting the volume!
I had Rob Green fit me switching for Series/Parallel modes on each (Humbucking) pick-up. This necessitated custom-wound pick-ups, and increased the cost a bit.

[i][b]Sound:[/b][/i]
It was supplied (as requested) with 40,60,80,100 Status roundwound hex-cored Hot Wires Strings. With the Eq left alone and the pan-pot centered, it delivers the typical "Status" sound, quite full, with good note definition. The bottom end might be described as a little lean, but perhaps would be better described as "clean". The sound is warmer than I'd expected (but that's not a bad thing!) ,although not as warm as a wooden-bodied or necked instrument. Using the coil switches yields interesting tonal options. Changing to Series mode gives more output overall, and lessens the "mid-scoop" that parallel mode produces.
In summary, Parallel is smoother, Series is harder-hitting. Using the Neck pick-up in series and the Bridge in parallel gives a smooth mid/top and a tight, defined bottom end. Switch them the other way around, and you get a softer bottom end with a tight upper/mid range. You have to use the pan-pot to stop whichever pick-up is in series from dominating the sound. Put both in Series and hang on to your hat, it 's got a lot of clout!
The Eq works well, and the 18v system has been used to deliver more headroom rather than an increase in output. It's not super-hot in terms of level, more medium warm.
Ultimately, I'd describe the sound as "Modern", although there's an interesting sound available by having the neck pick-up in parallel, the bridge in series, and playing with your (plucking hand) thumb resting on the base of the neck. It's very full, and almost upright-like but with good definition.
One point to note: I ordered this on a [i]very[/i] cold day. I went to one (excellent) bass dealer, situated in an industrial unit, early in the morning. It had been even colder overnight, and nearly all their stock gave a very poor account of itself as a result of being too cold. I tried Overwaters, Warwicks, Sandbergs, Spectors, Vigiers, MusicMen, Laklands, and a Fender. Of over 40 basses I tried, only these played well and still sounded good;

Vigier Arpege S4
Vigier Passion S4
Musicman Bongo
Spector Euro5 LX
Oh, and the Highway 1 precision was okay, too.

It was even colder at Status Graphite's factory, but all their stock basses were fine! The Graphite necks seem to tolerate changes in temperature and humidity very well indeed, which bodes well for travelling or use in locations where seasonal weather changes cause problems with wonky necks!

[i][b]Action Fit and Finish:[/b][/i]
The fit and finish are superb! Utterly beyond reproach. The fretwork, in particular, is exemplary. All the controls feel solid, and the tuners (though a little stiff!) are precise and accurate. I reckon they'll loosen a little over time! Rob won't let anything out if the factory until he's given it the once-over, and the instrument was well set-up with a (deliberately) mid-to-low action. If you want to slap 'n' tap exclusively, you'd want to lower it a bit more. If you're a hard hitting rock player, you might want to raise it a bit.

[i][b]Reliability/Durability:[/b][/i]
Too soon to tell, but I'm not expecting any problems. I look after my stuff, and the build quality, design and choice of materials suggests that it will prove to be very durable.

[i][b]Nitpicky bits - Nothing's perfect[/b][/i]
I initially used it with my trusty Comfort Strapp, but due to the light weight and lack of headstock to damp it, the neck would bounce about all over the place if I so much as moved!
Also, the Comfort Strapp made the instrument hang at a very odd angle, too "neck up" for me, and it was pulling the instrument too far back. The first fret was very easy to reach, but the dusty end of the fretboard was pushed too far back to allow easy access!
A simple fix, though! Get a cheaper, longer,less padded, non-elastic strap. I substituted an old Planet waves woven nylon item to good effect.
I might change the string gauges to 45,65,80,100, but that's about it...

[i][b]Customer Support:[/b][/i]
Excellent! Rob and Dawn Green will do everything they can to accomodate your requirements.
On the two occasions I've visited the factory, I've spent ages talking with Dawn about everything from round-cored strings to golf and how our respective kids are doing!

[i][b]Overall rating:[/b][/i]
An excellent player thanks to a combinaton of light weight, superb balance, good ergonomics and a comfortable neck profile. It's very compact, and will travel well as a result. The performance is in no way diminished by its diminutive size.
If I were very critical, I'd only subtract a mark for the fact that the sound is determinedly "anti-vintage" , but so is the design, so It fits the overall "vibe" of the instrument. On that basis, it'd be churlish to subtract marks. I realise the design and aesthetic won't be to everyone's taste, but I don't mind it at all.
So a confident 10/10 from my perspective!

Thanks for reading.
Any questions? Drop me a PM.

Nice review, Alex. Like you, I've found the Streamline not to be not only a great design, but a fantastic sounding bass - Possibly the best sounding of all the Status basses I've had - And also a great gigging companion which you can play almost effortlessly for hours on end. I bought my first Streamline on a whim to give the design a try & was instantly bowled over by the huge sound and playability.

Rich.

Like you two I'm starting to be won over by this little bass. I'm finding that i have to play with the strap a bit to get the best balance. Maybe because I'm a shortarse I find if I get this wrong, despite it's lightness it sort of pivots on my left shoulder and puts all of its 7lbs there which can be a bit taxing. Get the strap right tho and it really is like wearing nothing at all.

I've actually found some quite 'non-Status' sounds in there which should work for some of the stuff I use a Precision on. The master volume is neck left on mine, maybe the position change is because of the S/P mods on yours Alex? Mine gets its first airing with me tonite at the local Jam, I'm interested to see what the punters make of it - can I get away with Punk on this bass - we'll see.

Sorry to hijack Alex's thread.

To the 2 Q's above.

I play thumb squarely on the back of the neck so the recess feels ok to me. If you were a 'thumb over the top' player I could see a bit of 'adjustment ' would be in order.

The neck stays pretty much put but to me seems happier at 45 degrees and above. FM, there is no risk - you'll love it! At the 'local Jam' last night I can honestly say I have never had as many positive comments on the sound (or looks) of any bass I have ever used there.

Edited by martthebass

The neck recess/ single cutty bit doesn't get in the way at all, but I play with my thumb on the back of the neck, too...
If you play over the top, you'll come unstuck at the 12th fret!

As for neck dive, certainly not! It's not in the Streamline's vocabulary!
It can sit a bit neck-up, but that's fixable with a bit of strap alteration...

• 2 weeks later...

[i][b]Second opinion![/b][/i]
My Father-in-law (a guitarist of some 30 years) tried this yesterday.
Whilst he's not a bassist, he does have an appreciation of what constitutes a good instrument, in terms of action, feel and tone.
He tried it unplugged first, then I plugged him into my mixer and he monitored via headphones.
To quote;
"How can a bass fret more easily than a guitar? It's effortless."
"It doesn't weigh to much and certainly doesn't get in the way!"
"Good, resonant sound and ringing tone"
(Plugged in)
"This is [i]so[/i] fast."
"This is [i]evil[/i]"

So that'll be a +1 then...
(With a slight "ouch!" over the price tag- but we all know guitarists generally get of lightly compared to bassists!)

• 3 months later...

And a few more thoughts, six months in...

My only "complaint" (if it is one!) is that I should've got the 5 string! Otherwise, it's still superb.
I might try tailoring the tone and balance by getting a piece of brass (or the alloy that's used for tonearm counterweights (tungsten/lead?)) machined to fit the string retainer clamp and screw it in using the threaded holes.
This may;

i) Stop the neck bobbing around when I get "stuck in" (yes, I know I play [i]too[/i] aggressively!)
ii) May give a bit more depth to the tone in the way a FatFinger does - I like the way they work on most headed basses...

• 2 weeks later...

The Streamline has just done what few other basses could do.
I've put it in the boot of my (small family) car with 3 suitcases and a baby buggy and driven 600 miles across France.
It's got hot, cold, dry, humid, the lot. Took it out. Still in tune! No buzzes, rattles or squeaks. Nothing.
Have also brought an MP3 player, Korg Pandora PX4-D and a pair of Sennheiser HD215.

Practice heaven, and it all fits in the Streamline's bag apart from the headphones.

This is partly what I bought it for, and it has delivered in spades.

• 2 months later...

Took it for a spin vs. a Drummer in a quick jam yesterday. Used my Warwick Streamer LX6 as a comparison also.
Streamline delivers again. Cuts right through, but without sounding harsh.
Made the Warwick sound rather dull by comparison.
I'd definitely use it live. Dunno that the rest of the band would be so sure!

Heh, good to hear Alex. Seems like the last couple of days was a bit of a Streamline weekend. I played mine on a short session on Saturday & it cut through like nothing else on the recordings, then did a jazz gig on it yesterday lunchtime. The engineer just beams when I bring the Streamline, commenting that it just sings in every register with utter clarity and massive tone. He loves the white LED's as well :)

There's nothing quite like them. If it wasn't for producers and MD's wanting a classic bass from time to time, I'd probably just play my Streamline full time!

Rich.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

• 1 year later...

And in the longer term...

Tried re-stringing with single ball-ended strings. That was a mission! The string clamp screws work really well in the headpiece and secure the strings well. The black finish came off of the leading edge of the threads as I screwed them in, though.
Cutting the strings to the correct length is a bit difficult, as you won't want to damage the headpiece finish with whatever cutters you're using.
The monorail bridge saddles are designed/ set-up for taper-cored E and A strings. I struggled to get the action low enough with "regular" strings. This time out, I was using Overwater Steel Rounds (.038/ .058/ .078/ .098)
It's of most consequence on the E string, where the variance is greatest, and ultimately, I got close enough. Those who want ultra-low actions on mid to heavier gauges might need to get the files out (or ensure that you get taper-cored E and A strings)

Otherwise, A couple of surface cracks have appeared in the gel coat in the recess beneath the tuners. Not structural, and they may have been caused by a knock I'm unaware of whilst in the gig bag. Still, a bit annoying, as I take good care of my gear.
Finally, the phenolic fretboard has taken a serious dislike to my sweaty hands. It's reacted to my sweat, leaving a weird stain/deposit that starts in a point at about the 12th fret and widens out until it reaches the 24th. It doesn't affect the playability, but it does look strange.

[i]When[/i] I get time, I must nip up to Status HQ and get Rob to have a look.

A pity. The (overwater) strings and Streamline sound superb together and the compliant nature of the strings make it even more of a doddle to play.

• 1 year later...