Why become a member? ×

SOLD Sandberg California II VS4
£950
Oxon

goonerjoe

Reluctantly selling my Sandberg California VS4. I really, really like this bass - the craftmanship and sound is amazing but for some reason I haven't fallen in love with it like I thought I would - it just isn't me. I bought it new from Bass Direct in June 2020 and it arrived around 6 months later, anyone on here who owns a Sandberg can vouch for their build quality. Like the CN212, the CTM100 and the Musicman USA SUB i'll probably regret selling this but this is what we do, right? 😉😂🙄😭

Here are the specs;

3 tone sunburst

Alder body (nice grain)

Pau Ferro fretboard with white dots (with some really nice "swirling")

Maple neck (profile is somewhere between a P and a J)

2 band EQ, active/passive push pull switch

Standard Sandberg pickup

3.58kgs according to my kitchen scales

It's left the house about 3 times over the last year, for obvious reasons, and is therefore in excellent (9.5/10) condition. It has been stored in a mono case and doesn't really come out much, so has avoided any major wear and tear. A few very minor bumps around the side of the bass that I can't even photograph, apart from that the body/neck are absolutely fine. The SB logos on the pickups have worn away (this happened really quickly), and there is a small amount of rust on the poles under the D and G strings, which would be easy to remove - I may have a go at myself if I get the time.

This comes with a unused SB gig bag (no pics as it's in storage and I have been using the mono, but it's this model https://www.thomann.de/gb/sandberg_gigbag_493951.htm?utm_source=shopzilla&utm_medium=psm&utm_campaign=shopzilla-gb), diMarzio straplock strap attached and the original strap buttons thrown in.

Open to offers. No trades please, unless you've got a Fender P to offer... but be warned I am quite fussy.

Cash on collection preferred, i'm really reluctant to ship this. I'm based in Witney, West Oxon, but work in South Oxon and am willing to discuss delivery for petrol money.

Any questions/requests for more pictures, just shout.

PXL_20211118_181535938.jpg

PXL_20211118_181706010.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20211118_181621097.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20211118_181548187.PORTRAIT.jpg

Edited by goonerjoe
  • Like 2

@goonerjoe, being that you ordered this bass made to yourself, have you not considered changing the electronics or pickup?

I've always found Sandbergs a bit dull and tasteless and I'm pretty convinced it's the electronics, especially when the build quality is good and the resonance is there....

A top end P pickup and passive electronics from KiOgon or similar could have you all sorted with a new bass for like £150ish!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

@goonerjoe, being that you ordered this bass made to yourself, have you not considered changing the electronics or pickup?

I've always found Sandbergs a bit dull and tasteless and I'm pretty convinced it's the electronics, especially when the build quality is good and the resonance is there....

A top end P pickup and passive electronics from KiOgon or similar could have you all sorted with a new bass for like £150ish!

I have to agree with this. I had an old VM which was a great build, but the tone, whilst perfectly acceptable, wasn’t exciting and a bit bland (I now wonder why I bought it, oh yes, GAS). I’m just looking at getting a nice playing Squier and doing what @Ander87 suggests. Current leader in the pickup stakes for me is the DiMarzio Model P followed by the Duncan Quarter Pounder and Nordy NP4A. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/11/2021 at 10:58, Ander87 said:

Agree with this 100%. The build quality of Sandbergs is fantasitc. Really well put together. The electronics are a matter of personal taste but have never suited me. I found them a little too "modern". I have an entry level  VS4 with the best neck I have ever played. Converted it to passive recently with SD Antiquities pickups and it is now an absolute keeper. Plus a KiOgon loom of course! :) As @Ander87says, a relatively minimal outlay will really sort you out. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • goonerjoe changed the title to SOLD Sandberg California II VS4
  • martthebass locked this topic