Why become a member? ×

Getting a Big Muff to cut through live

Supernaut

15 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

LOUD!

Well, sort of- Muffs sound incredibly loud, which can fool us into setting them at a low level alongside the clean tone. If you have something with a meter on it (mixer, DAW, etc,) set the output so that the average level in db is the same with the pedal on and off. Played solo it may sound like a huge jump in volume, but once in the band the distortion will hold a similar place in the mix to the clean signal.

This. ^^^

It's an age old problem and there are lots of solutions, clean blend, boost mids etc but getting the output levels the same goes a long way.  I use the input gain indicator on my amp to make sure I have the same level from clean and driven sound, and the driven sound seems louder by itself but once it's in a mix it's what you need to cut through.

It’s a toss-up between cutting through in a mix m, and the big muff sound ; it’s called a big muff because it was originally thought to sound like a muffled speaker I.e. mid scoop.

Do yourself a favour and get a coloursound bass fuzz. Problem solved.

• 3 weeks later...