Why become a member? ×

Yamaha SB1C

EddHytheTown

Just seen this on Facebook. Twang Guitars in Penge, South London have a Yamaha SB1C for sale, with some potential link to Paul Kossoff apparently!

Facebook link

I've never heard of this model before, but it's certainly an interesting design! Any fans?

I'm not affiliated to the shop in any way by the way, but I've shopped there a few times and they seem decent if anyone is interested.

10 hours ago, Bassassin said:

My inner cynic thinks many things, amongst which are that the 'Kossoff connection' amounts to 'dropping the name of a musician you've heard of, who's been dead for a very long time'.

You're not interested in the Strat I've got which used to belong to Jimi Hendrix then. 

Jimi sold it another Jimmy, Page, who lent it to Eric Clapton. Clapton, being in his Vodka and Cornflakes period forgot to ever give it back to Page, instead eventually trading it with Eddy Van Halen for some coke. EVH never really gelled with it so, money not being an issue, gave it to his guitar tech, who had taken quite a shine to it. Anyway, the years passed and EVH's guitar tech became just another bloke down the pub, and that's where my mate Dave got it from before he sold it to me. 

I've no paperwork to back up his story, but Dave's a stand up fella, well he is when he's sober, and why he would he lie about something like that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Maude said:

You're not interested in the Strat I've got which used to belong to Jimi Hendrix then. 

Jimi sold it another Jimmy, Page, who lent it to Eric Clapton. Clapton, being in his Vodka and Cornflakes period forgot to ever give it back to Page, instead eventually trading it with Eddy Van Halen for some coke. EVH never really gelled with it so, money not being an issue, gave it to his guitar tech, who had taken quite a shine to it. Anyway, the years passed and EVH's guitar tech became just another bloke down the pub, and that's where my mate Dave got it from before he sold it to me. 

I've no paperwork to back up his story, but Dave's a stand up fella, well he is when he's sober, and why he would he lie about something like that?

Y'know what? I'm pretty sure I sold that guitar to Dave, would've been April 1992 if I'm right. I was never EVH's guitar tech but someone I know very well (probably too well!), shared a cell with him for some 18 months, and that, in a roundabout way, is how the instrument (or what was left of it at the time) came into my possession.

Too bad Dave seems to have forgotten half the back story - particularly the bizarre and convoluted tale of why, in the bottom of each pickup cavity, etched into the wood, using the tip of a hot object (likely a soldering iron) in a rather flamboyant copperplate script, are the three words 'clavicle', 'antelope' and 'buttock'. And what that odd, strange-smelling pinky-blue gelatinous substance, stubbornly clinging to the trem springs actually was! I couldn't believe it when I found out!

Anyway - I have to say I'm delighted it's in good hands now, it's a genuine piece of rock history & I always wondered what became of it! Do remind me to tell you all about The Curse one day. :)

• Haha 3