Why become a member? ×

Amps/cabs for C tuning?

ben604

As I've mentioned on my sale thread, I'm moving my "cheap" rig on because at any sort of usable volume, it just cant handle the low C. We've got a fairly loud drummer and the guitarist plays through an Orange Rockerverb 50 combo + 2x12 cab, so it's proving difficult to cut through down the bottom end.

My question is, what should I be looking at to handle the low C at high volume? 2 x 4x10s, 2x15, 6x10, 8x10?

There's some Aguilar GS410s being bandied about on a thread which I've registered an interest in, at 700rms each, they should be able to handle the volume, no?

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,
Ben.

[quote name='ben604' post='450642' date='Mar 31 2009, 04:22 PM']There's some Aguilar GS410s being bandied about on a thread which I've registered an interest in, at 700rms each, they should be able to handle the volume, no?[/quote]

The pair could definitely handle that but not due to their power rating. If you want to handle big lows with farting you need enough speaker area and cone excursion. As most cabs are rather short on cone excursion (ability of the woofer to pump back and forth without distorting) the solution is lots of cone area. There are a select few cabs that can move a lot of air without having lots of cone area but the list is very short!

Alex

That's down in C? I'm a little wary of the Warwick cabs, especially the 611 as they seem to go really cheap on here and ebay (no offence intended!). I do like the shape of the 6x10s though.

Edited by ben604

That's another consideration. Something solidstate - due to the amount of cash I have. Otherwise, I'm open to suggestions. I've had an SVT-2-Pro, SVT-CL, GK RB2000 and the Hartke LH500. The only amp that blew me away was the CL, but after my experiences recently, I'm looking for something with plenty of head room!

I was considering the Poweramp/preamp option using something like a Sansamp BDDI or Bass VT as a front end with my P and T-40, I dont need to vary my sound much...

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='451392' date='Apr 1 2009, 12:41 PM']Was that a silly question ? :S[/quote]

Not at all! People seem to think drop-tuned 4-string basses are like so heavy man, need super rawk cabs to handle it, but hordes of bassists have been playing 5-strings for the last decade or two and few drop-tuned fours go as low as a standard five. However drop-tuning generally goes hand in hand with loud guitarists, a rather different situation to a 5-string in a function band... Big lows at high SPL need big cabs or smaller (but still quite large) cabs that can truly handle big power through having high excursion speakers.

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genz-Benz-6x10-XB2-Bass-Cab-900W_W0QQitemZ220396756823QQihZ012QQcategoryZ23794QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genz-Benz-6x10-XB2-B...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

I take it this would do the trick? Anyone used one of these cabs?

[quote name='Buzz' post='463851' date='Apr 16 2009, 12:33 PM']Why don't you commission Alex to build you some cabs to meet your sepecifications? Chances are you're going to be spendings lots and lots of money on "commercial" cabs to get what you need.[/quote]
+1
A nice pair of Compacts or Big Ones would do the trick methinks!

[quote name='Buzz' post='463851' date='Apr 16 2009, 12:33 PM']Why don't you commission Alex to build you some cabs to meet your sepecifications? Chances are you're going to be spendings lots and lots of money on "commercial" cabs to get what you need.[/quote]

No custom cab needed! The Barefaced Big One can whip every other cab on the market for lower tunings at high SPL, even sub low B.

Alex

[quote name='simondee' post='469611' date='Apr 22 2009, 02:06 PM']I've got a similar problem.

I play in a thrash band with two VERY LOUD guitarists tuned to C#. I'm still thinking of adding a 15er to my 2x12 just so the rumble cuts through a bit more.[/quote]

Don't mention you are thinking of mixing cabs in threads like this. Get another amp to go with it, and then another 2x12. Will be awesome.