Why become a member? ×

NAD Ashdown RM 800

lancer

24 minutes ago, Happypants said:

Crazy prices! With the prices so similar, is there any disadvantage of going for the RM800 over the RM500 aside from being overkill?

Having owned both, I would recommend going for the 800. Its power delivery is effortless and it copes easily with loud rock band gigs without PA support. The 500 is great and plenty loud enough for most situations but I did have to swap it out for my ABM on a gig with the same loud rock band, it couldn’t quite keep up without PA support. There’s very little in it at lower volumes though, they both sound great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to add - there’s really not a huge volume difference between them, it’s more in the power delivery of the 800, it doesn’t run out of steam and this doesn’t suffer from that “class D running out of puff” compression a lot of these tend to suffer from. At least, that has been my experience :)

• Like 1

Another reason to go for the 800 over the 500 is appearance.  I plan to use this with my black steel grilled Super Compact.  It will look the part on top of that, as per all the photos of other bass chatters' RM800 and Super Compact rigs.  The black fascia and silver chassis (and vu meter) look quite cool, I believe.  I'm not so keen on the look of the RM500.

Bought a Yamaha BB735A from Musik Produktiv in April this year. Price on website is the price I paid and included all duty and delivery by UPS. Bass arrived in brand new condition and well packaged - quite well set up with only minor adjustment required e,g, tuning up strings - not true of all Yamaha dealers. Their price was about £100 less than well known UK dealers who did not have the black version (BB735a TMBL) in stock anyway. Paperwork confirmed all import duties had been paid. UPS driver is the same one as delivered a couple of Ashdown cabs I ordered from them last year before Brexit - the same cabs are still available and are 30% cheaper than last summer. Delivery was less than a week from ordering. What's not to like?

Just pressed the button the RM800 EVO2 myself - about half UK dealer price all inclusive.

• Like 2