Why become a member? ×

60’s vs 70’s jazz bass pickup spacing / position - SAME BASS !!!

Bart Funk Bass

On 12/08/2021 at 11:08, ped said:

It must be said that the clips aren't particularly well recorded - a limiter is needed big time... but the woody bark from a 70s spacing is clearly the winner 🤣

Aren't well recorded? Limiter? What's the point in a comparison video? Signal chain in the video description.

6 minutes ago, Bart Funk Bass said:

Aren't well recorded? Limiter? What's the point in a comparison video? Signal chain in the video description.

Sorry I didn’t mean not we’ll recorded in that way, the audio is clear and sounds fine, but the slapping examples could use some compression/limiting because they top out and make the comparison of the finer characteristics a bit harder to hear. I get that’s not the point of the video though but it might help you make the point. 

No offence intended, I like all your vids!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shoulderpet said:

I think the bridge pickup on my Ibanez Mezzo bass might be in 60s spacing, granted it's a pj not a jazz bass but still thought it was interesting

Mezzos are short scale, no?

Edited by Doctor J

6 hours ago, Doctor J said:

The point being it's not 34" scale and, therefore any correlation to a traditional Jazz is relative, not absolute.

That is true but it is a lot further forward with comparison to my other short and medium scale basses, would be interested to find out with scale length accounted for how it compares in terms of placement to a long scale jazz but tbh im too lazy to do the maths

Edited by shoulderpet

Interesting fact.

If the differences are down to harmonics at the pickup location, then the 60s spacing consistently give the same harmonic mix as the 70s spacing when played two frets

As there are consistent differences and these seem to be bigger than those observed as you move up and down the neck, this suggests the 'harmonics' explanation is not perfect.

My bad, I was using the spacings in the video as being from bridge to PUP. Actually, it's more like 0.83 for the E string and 0.8 for the G. So that would be just over 3 frets for the E and nearly 4 frets for the G.

A clear contrast to the much bigger difference between bridge and neck pickups, where the equivalent harmonic mix for the two poickups is more or less open string and 12th fret.

Edited by Stub Mandrel