Why become a member? ×

NBD: Spector 6 string

zbd1960

Severe GAS attack... whilst I wait for my nice 4 string ACG to be built decided I'd have an experiment with 6 string basses.

I play the viola da gamba aka viol which is a 6 string instrument. The bass viol is tuned DGCEAD, so 4ths with a weird 3rd thrown in in to confuse you. It's played with a bow and it's fretted - the frets are pieces of gut string that you tie to the neck and you have to move them to tune them... The bass is similar size to a cello. The violone is the ancestor of the double bass and is GCFADG - so the bottom G is a 3rd above the E of the double bass in pitch terms. I don't play that but the tenor viol, which is pitched an octave higher.

Anyway, viols have 6 strings, tenor and bass use bass and alto (C3) clef, but you do get lyra viol repertoire that uses English/French lute tablature, which fries your brain.

Anyway, the Spector is a Legend 6 Classic with burr walnut top and pau ferro fretboard. Standard tuning BEADGC at the moment.

Included a pic of my tenor viol and some lute tablature just for fun  🤣      

089B2A62-CBE9-452D-BD49-49A32B1E3F43.jpeg

5B991D7C-8767-4916-970C-52E5C1430620.jpeg

IMG_0004.jpg

Bakfark.jpg

• Like 9

12 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

Tuning an instrument by moving the frets sounds like a nightmare. An acquired skill, I assume. 

Yeah you tune the strings... then you tune the frets. If you're playing with other viols you tune to A=415Hz rather than A=440Hz. The first fret in particular is difficult as it tends to move.

Gut strings are an absolute pain to tune. Being organic in origin, they 'breathe' - they absorb or release water vapour according to the temperature and humidity. This means that if you take the viol out of its case and the environment is different, it can take a couple of hours for the strings to reach equilibrium. As the mass of the string is constantly changing, so is the tuning. This is why you see players of gut stringed instruments constantly tuning.