Why become a member? ×

Backing vocals.... oh no..

So the covers band I'm involved with want backing vocals. The singer is female, as am I, so me doing back makes sense.

But I'm a total newbie when it comes to backing vocals. I know that any backing with generally be the harmony on the 3rd or ideally the 5th because it doesn't change to major/minor... but how do you actually learn HOW to  play and sing at the same time??

Edited by Sarah5string
  • Like 1

I learn the bass part until I've totally got it, then I learn the vocal line until I've totally got that too... then I sit and busk to myself with both. A lot of it just falls into place, and it's often just a couple of little bits that are tricky, where the bass part trips the vocal up or vice versa... Just hammer away at those bits, repetition, like everything else. 

• Like 2

We have our first rehearsal in 14 months next week. Thankfully we have decided to do without the BVs  to lessen the chance of the lurgy flying around the room.

My backing vocals are strictly oohs, aahs and unison football-type chants... delivered with bad grace. Not only does it sound awful, but it distracts me from playing the best bass lines at key moments. I shall take the opportunity to point this out. I would try really hard if I had the voice of an angel, but I don’t... I have a nasty strident voice which has to be turned down in the mix... that’s why I’m predominantly a sax player. I can do harmonies because I used to write the horn lines for previous bands... but it still sounds awful from me. Easiest to stick to 5ths for starters.

• Like 1

On 19/05/2021 at 13:32, Sarah5string said:

So the covers band I'm involved with want backing vocals. The singer is female, as am I, so me doing back makes sense.

But I'm a total newbie when it comes to backing vocals. I know that any backing with generally be the harmony on the 3rd or ideally the 5th because it doesn't change to major/minor... but how do you actually learn HOW to  play and sing at the same time??

I occasionally do BVs. Along with all the other advice mentioned above, one tip that I find works for me is to simplify my right-hand technique at first.  The reason why it's easier to play e.g. rhythm guitar and sing is because of the relatively simple right-hand technique - that repetitive, up/down motion. Try starting by playing with your thumb or a pick, and just play with downstrokes. Simplify the left-hand stuff at first too. Just outline the changes first, then gradually bring in the parts you'd normally play.

• Like 1

One of my guitarists thinks he can do BVs. He is very shouty and has no concept of whether he is in key, or tune or anything. He just enjoys the idea of it. When he's having a particularly bad time with it I ask him "are you trying to sing higher or lower than the lead?" and we work on it from there. I've heard of bands having just vocal lessons together to learn to harmonise, I'd love to have a go at this if I had limitless time and money to do so. 

• Like 1