Why become a member? ×

Musicman Sterling 5

SteveXFR

I'm thinking about buying a 5 string Musicman Sterling 5. What I can't decide is whether to get the single or double humbucker version. Does the double version sound the same as the single version when you switch it to bridge pickup only?

There's also a two or three band eq option. Is there any downside to the 3 band?

I have one. They’re my favourite MM bass. The 2 humbucker has a 5-position humbucking-only switch that gives you both coils of bridge PU, outer coils, inner coils and both coils of neck PU, all wired in series, and the middle position - all 4 coils wired in parallel. The single humbucker model has a 3-position switch with series, parallel and single coil options, so the sounds will be quite different. 
Whichever one you choose, it’ll be quite an aggressive tone. The Stingray 5 is a bit warmer and more traditional, which is why it may be more popular. I prefer the more edgy series wiring and ceramic humbuckers on the Sterling. The only other thing to budget for is some Hipshot Ultralites as the smaller body tends to make them rather neck-heavy.

I can see why they spec these with 3-band eq. The double humbucker positions can be quite scooped so it’s nice to crank the mids. It’s the kind of bass where setting treble and mids to maximum boost still gives a very musical tone without hiss. You may not like the tone initially so don’t be afraid to use the EQ :)

Edited by FDC484950
EQ
  • Thanks 1

Thanks dude. I'm thinking I'll probably go for the single pickup if the double sounds quite different. 

I'm playing metal so I'm wanting a punchy tone and decent clarity on the B string, which is something all Stingray models seem to have, even the SUB ray model. 

Worth mentioning the SR5 from around 1992-2008 had ceramic also - changed to alnico when the Sterling 5 was introduced. I really love the sound of my SR5.

On Stingrays and Sterlings, the bridge pick up is in exactly the same place as on the H models - however if the Sterling 5 HH bridge only setting is in series, you would lose the closest sound to an H Stingray (which is the parallel setting - this is the one I use most on my ceramic SR5H) - you would get that on an H version owing to the 3 way switch. Are we sure the bridge H soloed on the HH is actually in series? 

Both the Stingray and Sterling HH versions are even more versatile and I tend to use both humbuckers together whenever I use an HH version, and as @FDC484950 said, with the mids boosted a bit. The only initial downside is the pop area of the slap/pop position being reduced by the bridge H - there is still plenty of room to do this however. 

Both great basses whichever you choose 👍

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

@drTStingray I checked this when I bought it - if you look at the wiring diagrams on the MM site, the SR5 HH is parallel at the bridge and the Sterling 5 HH is in series. Position 3 is identical on both basses - all 4 coils in parallel.

Interestingly the single H Stingray has parallel, parallel with “filter” and series.

Yes, on and SR5, you could have ceramic, alnico or neodymium humbuckers, but AFAIK the 2-pickup versions are always wired in parallel. Now you’re making me want to add a single humbucker Sterling to get the single coil and parallel sounds :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If its gonna be your only 5er then you may appreciate the versatility of the HH. I bought the Harley Benton Mm85a as a toe dip into both the  worlds of 5ers and the stingray vibe. I really don't need any other 5ers (unless I decide to upgrade if I win the lottery) , as it gives me a sound close enough to that classic single H but so much more. I can approximate a Jazz, a P and more, just through the 3 band EQ and the 5 way selector. Spooky magic if you ask me. Best 177 quid I've spent on gear to be fair. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

@drTStingray I checked this when I bought it - if you look at the wiring diagrams on the MM site, the SR5 HH is parallel at the bridge and the Sterling 5 HH is in series. Position 3 is identical on both basses - all 4 coils in parallel.

Interestingly the single H Stingray has parallel, parallel with “filter” and series.

Yes, on and SR5, you could have ceramic, alnico or neodymium humbuckers, but AFAIK the 2-pickup versions are always wired in parallel. Now you’re making me want to add a single humbucker Sterling to get the single coil and parallel sounds :)

The series setting on the single H is good but certainly with my SR5 (the H one is ceramic) I’m usually in parallel mode - the series gives you a bit more mid range presence. However because it’s ceramic it’s not quite the alnico single H parallel Stingray sound. I wouldn’t have bought another just to get that as the series single H is a good sound anyway. Get a used Stingray 5 H 2008/9-2018 if you want to get that. 

As I’ve said before I use all my dual pick up Musicman basses generally in HH mode 90% of the time (in the case of the Sabre Classic it’s bridge H plus neck single coil - which I dubbed the Lakland - meaning 55/94 - setting)! 

If you or @SteveXFR are looking at these - try them out if you can. Even an SBMM dual pick up bass will give you an idea of the available tones - the 3 band EQ helps a lot with both pick ups operating - the fact the Sterling has ceramic pick ups adds presence in my view and the series settings further enhance that.

My Sabre, although a dual pick up MM bass, is 2 band so I tend to boost the upper mids a touch on the amp with that bass in two pick up mode. 

Edited by drTStingray

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Really???

Somebody's been relying on their predictive text :facepalm:

No @TheGreek 😂😂 I have a new iPhone that’s so damned clever it implements short cuts without me even knowing and is a dab hand at changing English which is grammatically correct into gibberish - usually converting everyday words to the nearest name in its coding!!! I’ll admit I just didn’t notice!!! 

Anyhow, here’s the albino pick up version.....😀

8D32C327-CCAC-4E57-A065-91E716C4193B.thumb.jpeg.b0e1613527c4f0f3d02af524a970fa38.jpeg

Edited by drTStingray

3 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

The Sterling Stingrays have Alnico pickups. 

Yeah that’s right. But you can get a feel for the way MM basses with HH pick ups and the 5 way switch sound in the different settings compared with an H. 

The only MM basses with ceramic are SR5s (1992 ish - 2008/9) and Sterlings. 
Possibly the Big Al and Reflex also. 

Edited by drTStingray

To be honest there wasn’t a massive difference between my Sterling and the Stingray Special I briefly owned. Each of the 5 pickup positions were similar, just that the Sterling has a slightly more aggressive low mid punch. The one thing it doesn’t quite get is the classic Stingray sound. It’s very close, and I’m a track or live you wouldn’t hear a difference, but solo’ed I can hear it. 
Now @drTStingray a Big Al would do very nicely as a second MM, but a 5 SSS seems are rare as rocking horse poo;)

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

Someone suggested to me getting a SUB ray 5 and fitting a Darkglass tone capsule. It seems like an interesting idea. 

Any thoughts on this?

I understand they have ceramic pick ups (if you mean the SBMM one). Can’t comment on the ‘upgrade’ - think they’re pretty good straight out of the box with the stock EQ - I’ve yet to try anything Darkglass, having been curious about their amps - I’ve relaxed and back to Markbass for gigs (what few there are) and ABM for ‘bedroom/home’ use.

Now I know you shouldn’t believe everything - or should that be anything - you read on the internet (only today I read that a type of bass of which i have three and have no problems playing any genre on - indeed are a bit of an industry standard in their field and have been around for 34 yrs, apparently have a serious design fault causing the complainants to push strings off the edge of the fretboard - now either I’m a technique wizard (which I’m not) their technique is fundamentally flawed, possibly agricultural, or they’re overstating something for reasons only known to themselves) - BUT...... Darkglass are said to be the darling of the metal scene - this may be as untrue as the example given above, but as I associate metal with heavily scooped sounds and bass guitar disappearing amidst an onslaught of crunch guitar, perpetual drum solos and the equivalent of someone apparently attempting to prolapse their throat in a singing style as stereotypical as Vic Reeves’ erstwhile ‘singing in the club style’ - meaning 70s social club crooning - my curiosity has sort of waned a little. 

With apologies to metal fans and musicians everywhere and particularly Darkglass, who may have been internet/forum flamed by ‘Fender or other actors’ (in the way ‘foreign actors’ are sometimes blamed for IT hacking)!! 😂

On 17/05/2021 at 12:11, FDC484950 said:

To be honest there wasn’t a massive difference between my Sterling and the Stingray Special I briefly owned. Each of the 5 pickup positions were similar, just that the Sterling has a slightly more aggressive low mid punch. The one thing it doesn’t quite get is the classic Stingray sound. It’s very close, and I’m a track or live you wouldn’t hear a difference, but solo’ed I can hear it. 
Now @drTStingray a Big Al would do very nicely as a second MM, but a 5 SSS seems are rare as rocking horse poo;)

Yeah Big Als are rare beasties - not many many made - sound great from what I’ve heard though (early production have alder bodies, replaced by mahogany later). 

TBH my SR4HH gets a good Classic Ray tone (the Bernard Edwards version) amongst others - the SR5 ceramic bridge H (parallel) also but as you say, it has a certain bite to it - unmistakably Stingray though - i make both of those comments based on hearing them in band settings and from You Tube videos. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, drTStingray said:

..... Darkglass are said to be the darling of the metal scene - this may be as untrue as the example given above, but as I associate metal with heavily scooped sounds 

Miss seem to be coming back in to fashion in metal! The darkglass tone capsule doesn't seem to take out the mids. I've seen videos of people using them for all styles of music. 

We play metal but more of a blues based stoner metal (we aren't stoners) so the bass is quite forward in the mix. No drum solos yet but some of his fills are pretty huge.