Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Little Giant 1000 vs Superfly

Jamesemt

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='444212' date='Mar 24 2009, 08:05 PM']My Superfly is just not loud enough with 2x4 ohm Eden Nemesis cabs in the current band.

Has anyone compared the Little Giant 1000 to the Superfly for overall volume?[/quote]

I havent tried the little giant but did have the same complaint about my superfly. I turned the input volume up full and turned the gain right down. Now it seems I can get more volume out without it clipping or even going into the orange on the input level. Maybe I shouldnt be doing this though. Anyone know more about it?

[quote name='The_D' post='444246' date='Mar 24 2009, 08:27 PM']I havent tried the little giant but did have the same complaint about my superfly. I turned the input volume up full and turned the gain right down. Now it seems I can get more volume out without it clipping or even going into the orange on the input level. Maybe I shouldnt be doing this though. Anyone know more about it?[/quote]

Thats really interesting mate - I presume you are using a passive bass? How high can you go with the gain if the imput volume is on max?

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='444265' date='Mar 24 2009, 08:35 PM']Thats really interesting mate - I presume you are using a passive bass? How high can you go with the gain if the imput volume is on max?[/quote]

Well to be honest mate I aint sure but it doesnt have to go very high. Its an active bass but it goes through a pedal board so not sure how that affects the signal active/passive wise.

[quote name='Skywalker83' post='444368' date='Mar 24 2009, 09:28 PM']Eh, i just wonder , i presume your talking about the 1000W version of the Superfly in this comparison?[/quote]

Did that ever get released? No I'm talking about the 2x250 Superfly. I realise the Little Giant 1000 has twice the power, but wondered wether it REALLY has twice the power...if you know what I mean??!!

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='444396' date='Mar 24 2009, 05:39 PM']Did that ever get released? No I'm talking about the 2x250 Superfly. I realise the Little Giant 1000 has twice the power, but wondered wether it REALLY has twice the power...if you know what I mean??!![/quote]
Even if it has twice the power that's at best a 3dB net output increase, which is barely audible. I can't imagine 250w per side into 2 cabs not being enough; I run only one channel of my Fly into one 8 ohm cab and it's plenty.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='444430' date='Mar 24 2009, 10:03 PM']I can't imagine 250w per side into 2 cabs not being enough; I run only one channel of my Fly into one 8 ohm cab and it's plenty.[/quote]

What can I say, it isn't loud enough. I'm running the thing full on the dial and it's clipping when I dig in...

Unless doing the earlier trick of running the input volume on full drastically alters things.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='444430' date='Mar 24 2009, 10:03 PM']Even if it has twice the power that's at best a 3dB net output increase, which is barely audible. I can't imagine 250w per side into 2 cabs not being enough; I run only one channel of my Fly into one 8 ohm cab and it's plenty.[/quote]

I am only using 1 2x10 at the mo too and its fine now I have played around with the volume and gain. I have a massive 4x12 cab that sometimes gets busted out at bigger venues but mostly for pubs and stuff the 2x10 is plenty.

Jamesemt: Do you happen to play against 2 marshall stack guitar "gods"? That would explain why you aint getting through.

[quote name='The_D' post='444452' date='Mar 24 2009, 10:22 PM']I am only using 1 2x10 at the mo too and its fine now I have played around with the volume and gain. I have a massive 4x12 cab that sometimes gets busted out at bigger venues but mostly for pubs and stuff the 2x10 is plenty.

Jamesemt: Do you happen to play against 2 marshall stack guitar "gods"? That would explain why you aint getting through.[/quote]

No only one guitarist - but he does use a 1kw PA just for his guitar...

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='444732' date='Mar 25 2009, 09:26 AM']No only one guitarist - but he does use a 1kw PA just for his guitar...[/quote]

That screams "TONE PROBLEMS" to me. If he's like most guitarists then he'll have too much bottom in his sound and if he's going through a decent PA whilst you've only got a couple of small bass cabs then you don't have a hope of being heard. If you're fighting to be heard you will never succeed unless you have lots of power and speakers and are willing to go so loud that the drummer sounds quiet in comparison and the vocalist loses their voice.

The extra 3dB output from a 1000W vs 500W won't do anything useful for you, especially as it's unlikely your cabs can handle the full 500W in the lows. Sort the guitarist's sound out and try to use the acoustics in your favour instead of ignoring them and letting them suck out your tone and output.

Alex

[quote name='phatbass787' post='445134' date='Mar 25 2009, 04:42 PM']Why dont you just DI from the back of the fly into aforementioned PA ?[/quote]

Thats an option but I have to agree with alexclaber.

If the guitarist is pushing out that much then you will always struggle to come through. If you do manage to cut through then the drums will end up needing to be mic'd in as well and the singer will get drowned out. Eventually you are all fighting for sonic room and bars wont book you due to volume/noise overkill.

Its never fun trying to tell a band member to tweak there tone/volume but 1000W is way too much unless you are playing big venues.

I can definitely second the comment about the guitarist going thru the pa and having too much bass in his sound. This very problem has been multiplied in my band by there being 2 guitarists thru the pa, made worse until a couple of weeks ago by a very heavy-handed drummer! My Superfly500 and two 2x10 cabs were seriously struggling.

We had to sack the drummer a couple of weeks ago as we were fed up telling him to play quieter and him saying that he couldn't. The new drummer is much better, but we've still to fully test that with the full band.

I've also tried telling our guitarists that they need to lose some of their bass thru the pa, as they're stealing my frequencies - I've yet to win that argument and if I don't, I might have to be the next one to leave...... :)

By the way; I was considering upgrading to the LG 1000, but I haven't seen too many 4 ohm 2x10 cabs capable of handling 500 watts+ The Yamaha cabs I use with my Superfly are rated at 250 watts RMS (same as the amp)

[quote name='Krysbass' post='445529' date='Mar 25 2009, 10:34 PM']I can definitely second the comment about the guitarist going thru the pa and having too much bass in his sound.[/quote]

Got tweeters in your cabs? Clank it up real good and show them what sonic space invasion is like.

[quote name='Krysbass' post='445529' date='Mar 25 2009, 10:34 PM']I can definitely second the comment about the guitarist going thru the pa and having too much bass in his sound. This very problem has been multiplied in my band by there being 2 guitarists thru the pa, made worse until a couple of weeks ago by a very heavy-handed drummer! My Superfly500 and two 2x10 cabs were seriously struggling.

We had to sack the drummer a couple of weeks ago as we were fed up telling him to play quieter and him saying that he couldn't. The new drummer is much better, but we've still to fully test that with the full band.

I've also tried telling our guitarists that they need to lose some of their bass thru the pa, as they're stealing my frequencies - I've yet to win that argument and if I don't, I might have to be the next one to leave...... :)

By the way; I was considering upgrading to the LG 1000, but I haven't seen too many 4 ohm 2x10 cabs capable of handling 500 watts+ The Yamaha cabs I use with my Superfly are rated at 250 watts RMS (same as the amp)[/quote]

I've got one of these with my superfly and it sounds great, 4 ohms and 550 watts handling, couple of these with a LG 1000 and youd be away!

[url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/37072-ashdown-superfly-2104h-cabinet.html"]http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/3707...4h-cabinet.html[/url]

[quote name='phatbass787' post='445743' date='Mar 26 2009, 10:11 AM']I've got one of these with my superfly and it sounds great, 4 ohms and 550 watts handling, couple of these with a LG 1000 and youd be away!

[url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/37072-ashdown-superfly-2104h-cabinet.html"]http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/3707...4h-cabinet.html[/url][/quote]

Unless the Nemesis cabs have a serious sensitivity or excursion limited power handling problem then that isn't going to be any louder. Just because a cab has a thermal rating of 550W doesn't mean it can handle 550W where it counts.

Anyway, extra loudness is not the solution - learning to play together is.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='445747' date='Mar 26 2009, 10:15 AM']Anyway, extra loudness is not the solution - learning to play together is.

Alex[/quote]

+1

Whilst I’d love to give the git-tarrists a taste of their own medicine just once to make my point, the pa chucks out 2,500 watts, so even if I had an LG1000, I’d still be on a loser.

I’m hoping that a lot of our problems were down to everyone trying desperately to hear themselves over that ****dy drummer. We have our first rehearsal next week with the new drummer (who can play soft as well as loud, depending on the needs of the song – luxury!!) Hopefully everything will start to fall into place and the guitarists will realise that they need to let me handle the bass department.

Not a nice feeling though when your rig should definitely be loud enough, but somehow it isn’t!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Krysbass' post='445529' date='Mar 25 2009, 11:34 PM']I can definitely second the comment about the guitarist going thru the pa and having too much bass in his sound. This very problem has been multiplied in my band by there being 2 guitarists thru the pa, made worse until a couple of weeks ago by a very heavy-handed drummer! My Superfly500 and two 2x10 cabs were seriously struggling.

By the way; I was considering upgrading to the LG 1000, but I haven't seen too many 4 ohm 2x10 cabs capable of handling 500 watts+ The Yamaha cabs I use with my Superfly are rated at 250 watts RMS (same as the amp)[/quote]
Check out the Schroeder range of cabs..... Superb !!!