Why become a member? ×

Breaking Ashdown ABM 810 Cab Into Little Cabs

Pookus

Weight, space, transport....

I am considering building some smaller cabs and use the speakers from the 810. I reckon four 2x10s would do it. Can anyone help me out. I don't know what the speakers are rated at or what would be the best configuration.

Or I could sell it and build from scratch. I really like the Celestion green series speakers (already have one) so could get some more of those .

Thanks,
Jamie

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='444157' date='Mar 24 2009, 07:32 PM']Thats what I do. Or buy 4 2x10's. Lots of money and mucking about otherwise.[/quote]

Agreed. It gives you a good array of options... the biggest influence is your head and getting the right impedence cabs from your head. I've got 4x 8 ohms cabs... but I have got a head that will do 2 ohms... If you have got a head that will only go down to 4 ohms, you'll need 4x 16ohm 2x10 cabs... and they aren't easily found!

In another thread I did a bunch of maths and ended up pretty sure the speakers in my ABM 8x10 are 8ohm. Pretty sure its the same if it has Bluelines in. If it hasn't got blueliness in, totally give it to me and I will send you a lot of ebay links for 2x10s. In fact, if you want to whip out all the speakers, I'd be interested in the empty cab,pending some measuring and maths to make a 2x15 that matches my 8x10.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='444444' date='Mar 24 2009, 10:17 PM']In another thread I did a bunch of maths and ended up pretty sure the speakers in my ABM 8x10 are 8ohm. Pretty sure its the same if it has Bluelines in. If it hasn't got blueliness in, totally give it to me and I will send you a lot of ebay links for 2x10s. In fact, if you want to whip out all the speakers, I'd be interested in the empty cab,pending some measuring and maths to make a 2x15 that matches my 8x10.[/quote]

Got a link to that thread? :)

Edited by Pookus

You don't know anything about the speakers or how to put them together so you'll probably blow up your amp when you plug in the new cabs!!! You currently have a cab that's worth something. Sell it. Split it up and you'll have a lot of worthless junk. IMO.

[quote name='chris_b' post='445004' date='Mar 25 2009, 02:20 PM']You don't know anything about the speakers or how to put them together so you'll probably blow up your amp when you plug in the new cabs!!! You currently have a cab that's worth something. Sell it. Split it up and you'll have a lot of worthless junk. IMO.[/quote]

If I recall every long thread about cabs on basschat correctly, none of the major cab manufacturers know anything about making cabs or speakers either.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='445125' date='Mar 25 2009, 04:33 PM']....If I recall every long thread about cabs on basschat correctly, none of the major cab manufacturers know anything about making cabs or speakers either....[/quote]
Well, if you want to believe extreme views like that then good luck to you.

[quote name='chris_b' post='445004' date='Mar 25 2009, 02:20 PM']You don't know anything about the speakers or how to put them together so you'll probably blow up your amp when you plug in the new cabs!!! You currently have a cab that's worth something. Sell it. Split it up and you'll have a lot of worthless junk. IMO.[/quote]

I wouldn't go to all the trouble of building anything without making sure the figures added, up so no blowing up of amps here!

Now I feel much better - thanks :)

I have indeed decided to sell the 810 and make some smaller cabs (of the correct volume, ports etc) which will house 1x12 and 1x15 8 ohm 300w green label Celestions (already have one and love the tone). My amp will drive 2 sets of 4ohms -

There is a MAG 810 on ebay. Mine is an ABM - it has had plenty of use and is a bit battered (though works perfectly well). I might just keep it and build my Celestion loaded cabs anyway. It's great for festivals (where the stages have ramps!)