Why become a member? ×

New pickups - your experience appreciated

Huge Hands

Dear all, long story, but here goes:

I recently bought a second hand Squier Precision V with the intention of stripping and modding it, painting it etc. However, after a bit of messing about with Andy at Wizard, and a set of flatwounds, I found it to be an excellent bass (for my budget). I became too scared to do any more to it in case I messed it up.

With this in mind, I decided to buy another one to mod, the theory being that if I messed it up, I still had the first one to go back to. Now that I am a bit more blaze with this one, I have decided to try and fit a proper 5-string P pickup and full length J to it and rout the body to fit (the Squier originally had 2x 4-string neck J casings).

However, after saving up a bit, I spoke to Andy at Wizard who says he can't help as he can't get proper 5 string casings. :)

Therefore I'm now on the lookout for someone else that makes "off the shelf" 5 string Pups. I am after a nice deep mellow tone with a decent output, similar to the Wizards. Active would be considered, as I was thinking of adding a battery box in case I want to fit a preamp in the future.

Any ideas?

Edited by Huge Hands

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='443622' date='Mar 24 2009, 12:10 PM']Try Delano's mate.[/quote]

Thanks OHM. I have just checked them out on Google, but can't find any UK stockists for an idea of price. Where are you getting them from?

Any other ideas appreciated.

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='443770' date='Mar 24 2009, 01:45 PM']Thanks OHM. I have just checked them out on Google, but can't find any UK stockists for an idea of price. Where are you getting them from?

Any other ideas appreciated.[/quote]

It might be worth dropping Jon Shuker a line as he gets them in direct from Delano.

I really want a set of Fralins, but unfortunately like Wizard they don't do a 5 string P pickup

Erm sorry to say it!!!
But Nordstrand do a five string P pickup but they are silly money at the mo, (i wanted one for my 4 string p, will try the seymour duncans about half the price) but if youve the money there yougo!!!

[quote name='lee650' post='446537' date='Mar 26 2009, 09:44 PM']Erm sorry to say it!!!
But Nordstrand do a five string P pickup but they are silly money at the mo, (i wanted one for my 4 string p, will try the seymour duncans about half the price) but if youve the money there yougo!!![/quote]

Nordstrand!

You lose.

Only joking. I personally don't like them... lots of people do... but I find then very dull sounding. Best advice I would give is to try pickups out, on whatever you can, to get a good feel for what they are.

I've not played a bad sounding bass loaded with Delanos yet... Clovers, Sandbergs... and Shuker all seem to like them.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='446724' date='Mar 26 2009, 11:29 PM']Nordstrand!

You lose[/quote]

Dagnammit i knew it would be me!!! :) i actually like nordstrands and dont find them dull at all, but its all down to personal taste, ive only played a sandberg (with delanos) once and really didnt like it, i actually found it quite dull ha ha!! as i said taste is very subjective , i must say though EBS is the best gear ive ever used(nod to EBS freak love your rig), and just going through companys that actually do a five string P pickup , mind you Fender do now so i wonder if its available as an aftermarket retrofit- good luck on the search - lee