Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Audio Dropout on Cubase AI. Any Advice?

binky_bass

Evening All,

I bought a Steinberg UR44 earlier in the year, A: because it's a decent bit of kit for the price and B: because it came with Cubase AI free.

I've also bought Helix Native, which is the plug-in version of the Line 6 Helix, very useful. 

My issue is that when I run the Helix Native plug-in on more than two tracks I get a "Recording Error - Audio Dropout Detected" after about 5 - 10 seconds of recording.

Two tracks with Helix Native works fine however three will cause the error... 

I'm aware Helix Native is a fairly CPU heavy plug-in, and I have occasionally got the same error when running say ten tracks, two with Helix Native and eight without. 

My laptop is only a few months old and runs an i7 processor, has 16GB RAM and a 512GB solid state drive with a 2TB external drive housing most of my data to keep the laptop free from large masses of data. 

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can prevent this error from occurring? Ideally I'd like to be able to run at least 5 Helix Native plug-ins on 5 tracks, but at the moment I can only run two maximum.

Is it that Cubase AI can't handle it? Am I missing something? My laptop is definitely a respectable specification so I don't believe it's that...

Any thoughts welcome! 

Thanks, Russ.

• 2 weeks later...

A few ideas. 

Make sure your anti virus is not scanning anything to do with Helix or Steingberg. This will slow things down

Can you freeze the tracks, or bounce them so that you can add more tracks? 

Possible to use on instance of Helix as dual channel? Not really practical i know. 

I didn’t have any issues when i was using Helix in CB Elements, and none in Pro, but never tried it in AI. I do see the CPU meter go up when i have more than one track, but nothing that I’d worry about. 

Does AI have ASIO Guard in Studio like Pro does? If so maybe make that higher.

Your laptop is way more powerful than my PC, so it should be more capable and shouldn’t have this issue unless AI is crippled in some way, which i doubt. 

• Like 1

I run Nuendo 11 on a UR22 unit at the below settings without any problems. So you shouldn't have any problems with Cubase 11 pro. (your Laptop specs are no problem, good infact, for Cubase)..

You could always try Elements 11 and if all is well, upgrade to Artist or Pro. It's sometimes a little cheaper going the upgrade route. Certainly no more expensive.

Also,  Steinberg should have a sale coming up soon. At times, it can be as much as 50% off.

1.JPG

2.JPG

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 1

Just a FYI.

AI to Artist is £120. AI to Pro is £250. This is if you get it from one of the music shops online and not Steinberg. If you upgrade to Elements first it will cost a lot more in the long run as there is no cheap upgrade path from Elements. (So £190 and £405), on top of the £50 to go to Elements 

You can get a 30 day free trial of Elements. Might be worth seeing if thats any better before spending money. I don’t think it will make a difference though. 

Yeah, sorry, I was talking about the Steinberg site where there is a small saving with upgrades.

I think total is £405 upgrade from A1 or Elements.

If you want to dive straight into Pro 11, then from Amazon Prime there is a good deal. £308.00.

You get a serial number and the Dongle. Then you register at Steinberg and download via the Download manager.

I'm not sure how long the deal is though.

Steinberg Cubase Pro 11: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

If you have one another Vendor DAW (full version), you can get a cross grade offer for £300.00.

I think you just have to provide proof of purchase. 

Thats a good price on Amazon, but as he has AI he can get pro for £250 as i said above. 

Thats one of the good things about getting a Steinberg interface, it comes with AI.

EDIT: £243. 

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/steinberg-cubase-pro-11-upgrade-from-cubase/800404-01/?currency=GBP&flt=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0caCBhCIARIsAGAfuMyP1MHPLnrDs-NyqiAqlT9UWK6rpa3FbPj3Ad6dkVAF8Vm_Jt2gHd0aAmPvEALw_wcB

Edited by dave_bass5

Gear4music are the cheapest for a AI upgrade to Pro. Already looked at these options a while back! I spoke to a really decent chap at Gear4music and he said AI shouldn't have any limitations on the processing of heavy CPU plug-ins, so if I get this issue on AI it's very much likely I'll get the same issues with Pro. I need to experiment with the buffer size and see how that impacts the amount of tracks I can live run the Helix plug-in on. 

Come to think of it,  when i first got CB Pro i was having an issue where it would just shut down. No warnings, no errors, just gone.  It would happen quite a lot. Back then i was using Helix Native on a few tracks. I hadn’t thought it relevant until now, but since I stopped using it and use the VST amps or the ones built in to the interface ive not seen this issue. Could be a Helix issue.