Why become a member? ×

Modified Fender CIJ Precision

Noisyjon

Hi All,

Bit of an update below.

I bought this modified beauty off of our very own Clarky a while ago and thought I'd share some pictures of it.
The sound and playability of it is just ridiculous. I bought it as a 'banger' bass for practicing, etc and it's turned out to be one of my favourites :)
It has been modified with a Badass 2 bridge and the icing on the cake that are the T.I. flatwound strings.
I've never encountered the T.I. flats before and stone me are they good and nice to play!
The bass itself is very nice to play as the action is just right. It has plenty of chips and bangs on the body but the neck is near totally perfect and unmarked.

Anyway here it is as I got it - The mid '90's Crafted In Japan Fender Precision bass A.K.A. Sid:
[attachment=22555:SidFullFront.jpg]
[attachment=22556:SidBackFull.jpg]
[attachment=22557:SidBodyFront.jpg]

UPDATE: I recently managed to buy a Wizard Area 51 Stealth pickup off of our very own tonyf (thanks Mate!) and put it in this bass.
WOW - it really does sound how they describe it on their website "[i]The Stealth has a full range of tones, bassy and deep right through to crisp and bright, this makes them suitable for most styles of music, all provided with a little more, imagine a standard pickup on steroids!![/i]"
Here it is now:
[attachment=24846:SidA51closeup.jpg]

The reason for this change is that I ended with 3 P type basses with SD Quarter Pounders in (!) and wanted more of a spread of P bass tones.
So over time I have now changed them to: 1 with a SD Vintage, 1 with a Wizard Area 51 Stealth and 1 with a P/J setup of SD Quarter Pounder & a SD Jazz Hot Stack.

Cheers,
Jon.

Edited by jonthebass

Oh WOW!.. that is EXACTLY that i'm after!

very nice :rolleyes:

Z
x

[quote name='jonthebass' post='442353' date='Mar 23 2009, 12:46 PM']Hi All,
I bought this modified beauty off of our very own Clarky a while ago and thought I'd share some pictures of it.
The sound and playability of it is just ridiculous. I bought it as a 'banger' bass for practicing, etc and it's turned out to be one of my favourites :)
It has been modified with a Badass 2 bridge, a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pickup and the icing on the cake that are the T.I. flatwound strings.
I've never encountered the T.I. flats before and stone me are they good and nice to play!
It nails the sound exactly from The Clash's London Calling song IMO.
The bass itself is very nice to play as the action is just right. It has plenty of chips and bangs on the body but the neck is totally perfect and unmarked.

Anyway enough bleating from me, here it is - The mid '90's Crafted In Japan Fender Precision bass A.K.A. Sid:
[attachment=22555:SidFullFront.jpg]
[attachment=22556:SidBackFull.jpg]
[attachment=22557:SidBodyFront.jpg]

Cheers,
Jon.

P.S. Gotta love those Fender T.V. logo's haven't you![/quote]

Hi Zoe,
Thanks for the kind words.
If you're after one a good place to look is [url="http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/"]HERE[/url] at Ishibashi's used section. Only bummer is that you have to have it shipped from Japan with all the associated headaches. That said they are meant to be easy to deal with and do a great job.

Cheers,
JTB

[quote name='jonthebass' post='444037' date='Mar 24 2009, 06:03 PM']Hi Zoe,
Thanks for the kind words.
If you're after one a good place to look is [url="http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/"]HERE[/url] at Ishibashi's used section. Only bummer is that you have to have it shipped from Japan with all the associated headaches. That said they are meant to be easy to deal with and do a great job.

Cheers,
JTB[/quote]

ah awesome.
i once bought a Fender Jazz Aerodyne from ishibashi

Z
x

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='444495' date='Mar 24 2009, 11:17 PM']I'm sure I saw Sid Viscious' bass in Denmark St last week... in the place with the recorders from Abbey Road in the doorway...?[/quote]
I may be in town later today, in that area, so may have a ganders!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='444838' date='Mar 25 2009, 11:23 AM']Cool - it is (was?) behind the counter opposite the door as you walk in.[/quote]

Coincidentally, I was there two hours ago, and its still there. Looks cool, but completely unplayable!

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='jonthebass' post='442353' date='Mar 23 2009, 12:46 PM']Hi All,
It has been modified with a Badass 2 bridge, a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pickup and the icing on the cake that are the T.I. flatwound strings.
It nails the sound exactly from The Clash's London Calling song IMO.
The bass itself is very nice to play as the action is just right. It has plenty of chips and bangs on the body but the neck is totally perfect and unmarked.

Anyway enough bleating from me, here it is - The mid '90's Crafted In Japan Fender Precision bass A.K.A. Sid:

Cheers,
Jon.

P.S. Gotta love those Fender T.V. logo's haven't you![/quote]

Lovely bass - I've got an identical CIJ 70s reissue, but have added EMGs to mine. They really are great quality - as nice as any Fender I've played.

[quote name='simon1964' post='445126' date='Mar 25 2009, 04:35 PM']Coincidentally, I was there two hours ago, and its still there. Looks cool, but completely unplayable![/quote]

Agreed. Looks a complete mess. I think it's more of a talking point more than anything else!

• 1 month later...