Why become a member? ×

Advice with pickups 'n preamp!

JamieBenzies

Hello everybody,
I have a 5 string bass which is obsolete to my new 6 string only because of it's pickup and preamp, it seems a shame to sell or just keep it all alone in my room so my next money draining project will be making it comparable to my beautiful Ibanez (If that is at all possible).

And a nice arty photo just to show off...

I plan to put a high C on this bass instead of ye olde low B. I'm thinking of using this as my dropped D bass for live shows and maybe putting an ebony ramp in between the pickup and the neck. I may also change the Bridge at some point, but that's less important.

So yeah... any bright ideas on a good preamp and pickup set or combination?

Thanks again

Jamie

Edited by benzies123

That is a beautiful looking Bass.
If you want my "10 penneth", stick an ACG pre-amp in it.
Can't see what the pick-up is, but if you want to change it, speak to Andy at Wizard pick-ups. If they don't produce something that size, send the pick-up to them and they will re-wind it to your spec.
OR sell me the Bass and i'll do it. :)

Would that take an EMG soapbar? Looks like a 45 size from here. Already active, they give a good breadth of tone in a very clean manner. Then you can add the active tone controls if you really want, but I get everything I need from just the pickups. I use the 35s and 40s myself; various internal configurations are available (J, P, a couple of dual coils).

[quote name='BassBunny' post='442126' date='Mar 23 2009, 12:13 AM']That is a beautiful looking Bass.
If you want my "10 penneth", stick an ACG pre-amp in it.
Can't see what the pick-up is, but if you want to change it, speak to Andy at Wizard pick-ups. If they don't produce something that size, send the pick-up to them and they will re-wind it to your spec.
OR sell me the Bass and i'll do it. :)[/quote]

Cheers, what are wizard pickups like then? I did find them in my initial search for a nice new pickup but i had never heard of it so i went on looking for cheap Bartolinis and the like. The size shouldn't be an issue though my teacher seems to think it's the exact size of a stingray 5 pickup.

And In responce to Burpster, I forgot to mention initially that i don't think i will get a bartolini pickup and preamp as my other bass is fully bart'd up so i wanna get something a little different. But yeah you are right they sound utterly beautiful on my other bass.

I already had a look at EMGs aswell and they're definitely an option.

Cheers for the help everyone, any more ideas will still be appreciated!

Edited by benzies123

[quote name='Rich' post='442703' date='Mar 23 2009, 05:23 PM']Delano pickup + either East Retro or ACG guts.[/quote]

If you like that over sized exposed pole pieces look... Something to consider there is how high your action and how close your strings are to the pickups. Got to love those strings hitting the pole pieces sounds...