Lizzy

The spinning headless bass

I've been trying to find our more about my Hohner headless bass from the late 80's which  has a jack on the reverse and a strap with a rotating connector so that you can spin the guitar as in ZZ Top style ( but without the fur!).  Does anyone else have this? I can't find out anything about them.

Luckily it has a conventional jack because it's totally impractical

20210115_210541.jpg

• Like 1

Well! By the looks of it it's a standard headless Hohner and thats an "aftermarket" add-on judging by the choice of screws!

• Like 1

Just now, Dood said:

Well! By the looks of it it's a standard headless Hohner and thats an "aftermarket" add-on judging by the choice of screws!

Oh and Hohner were building licensed Steinberger 'cricket bat' basses for many year (Still do I think, such as the Hohner B2, which I suspect, without pictures yours is a version of!)

I think that I saw this gadget recently on another thread....

I was going to pitch in with the same! I doubt there were many production basses made with these as standard.

I remember seeing adverts for after market guitar strap 'spinner' kits in Guitarist magazine during the early 90's, which ties in with the age of the bass.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By PlungerModerno
      I'm not sure where to post this really: http://www.sankeyguitars.com/whatsnew/2018/10/1/new-invention-wrap-lock-headless-tuner It's from a few years ago, and the examples are all guitars - but I can see it working with tapered or exposed core bass strings without scaling it up significantly. Not sure if it would be that useful on most basses with all wound strings but a piccolo bass or a six string (or more) with plain strings might benefit immensely over some of the standard set screw arrangements.

I think I might have stumbled across a possible path to tool-less headless single-ball-end string changes, if only you could implement a nifty automatic clipping system like some locking tuners have!
      Does anybody know of something that exists that does all this singing and dancing? The closest I can think of is the  NS Design Self-Clamping Tuning System which you still will want to clip the strings for - even if it was on the market as a bridge seems like a lot of routing, forces a certain string spacing, and would not allow for rear or other interesting, shrouded or angled tuner arrangements due to the tuning knobs being where they are (like a volume knob, 90 degrees from the usual headless arrangement, parallel to the strings).

• By sbrag
      Very nice 5 string Hohner B Bass from the late 80s/early90s with a through neck and active/passive electrics.
      Bass is in good condition for it's age and has had a new set of Rotosound 45-130 strings, along with a set up and electrics checked and a coat of lemon oil on the fretboard. It plays very nicely and sounds great.
      It does have a few scuffs which I have tried to show mostly near the jack socket but they are only cosmetic and the neck is in excellent condition.
      Only selling as I bought it on a whim thinking I needed a 5 string and it's just reminded me I don't get on with 5 strings.
      Collection from Downend in Bristol preferred and can try and sort a socially distanced trial. I can look to courier at buyers cost and risk. I will include a hard case in the cost to make this safer.
      I'd prefer a sale but will consider trades especially for a Barefaced compact cab or possibly other barefaced cabs or interesting 4 string basses of similar value (no black basses though as I have enough already ta).
      Trades in order of interestingness;
      Cold hard cash
      Barefaced compact or Possibly super 12 (+cash to you)
      OBT
      Retrovibe Renegade or Vantage
      Epiphone Thunderbird Pro (passive ones)
      Nice Jazz with block and bound neck 
      Other interesting basses

• By BCH
      Progress of my "covid safe restricted space rehearsal room" bass..ha

• By Bassassin
      New Headless Birthday Bass Day!

Thanks to the sterling collaborative efforts of @Paul S and my lovely partner, I got this for me birfday! It's a Riverhead Unicorn RUB1090, from 1985-ish. I've wanted one of these since I tried one at the old Bass Centre in Wapping in 1985, and sadly found myself unequal to the £500 price tag!
      They don't turn up too often & I've missed out on one or two, including this one when it first came up a few months ago. Happily Paul gave me first refusal - and a great excuse to get it at no personal expense! So everyone's a winner!
      This is in nice condition for a 35-ish year old bass. A lot of these are pretty tatty, seemingly the factory finish wasn't too durable, but this has had a decent refin at some point, over the original matt black. The hardware's in near-new condition, which I'm surprised & very pleased about - many of these have corroded-looking metal parts. There's a little bit of fretwear, mostly under the E & A around the first 5 frets or so. A fret level/dress would help but I don't know if I'll bother - Paul's strung it with flats & the slight acoustic rattle doesn't seem to be audible when plugged in. Actually this is the first time I've had flats on a fretted bass in about 15 years & I'm surprised how well they work on this! Through my little Yamaha THR10 it sounds nice & full, with a bit of a Jazz growl to it. Pickups are passive single coils & fairly close to J positioning.
      First impressions are that it's a bit nicer to play than my Hohner B2A or Cort Space headlesses - the chunky pickups provide a more natural feeling hand/thumb position and the narrow (39mm nut) but fairly deep neck makes it feel pretty substantial.
      Very early impressions, I may try a bit of recording with it over the next few days. On the whole, I'm chuffed to bits!