Why become a member? ×

Electric Drumkit Advise Please!

binky_bass

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

That's darned good, and pretty much rock-steady. The key is to go s-l-o-w-l-y, as you're doing; it's by far the fastest way forward. S-l-o-w is the new fast.
A word..? There are two schools of bass drum pedal: heel up and heel down. I see that you're 'heel up'; it might be worth doing exactly the same exercises 'heel down'; this brings into play different muscles and tendons, and is very useful for expression and finesse. As it is, you're 'burying' the beater into the skin; it's useful to have the beater strike, then come off the skin, without rebound, in the same way as your sticks don't stay down on the drum head. Discuss, maybe with your tutor..? A looser grip of the snare stick (a more supple wrist..?) would be something to think about, too, right from the start. Again, your tutor will have advice on these minor points. Good Stuff; here's my usual encouraging phrase...

'It's the first forty years that are the hardest, after which things, sometimes, tend to get slightly better'. You're doing well. B|

Thanks @Dad3353 - appreciate the encouragement and kind words.

Funnily enough, whilst practicing today I noticed how different foot positions produced that rebound and had intended on asking my tutor about looking at foot down - it takes a lot of effort to consistently bury the beater head into the skin (without an unintentional double strike), whilst the foot down method works, as you say, the same way as a snare - relying on the head to push the beater back and not gravity when you lift your foot.  Foot up and playing with rebound are not, I think, a good pairing?  Perhaps as with most things, being able to adapt and not get stuck with one or the other but to be equally comfortable with both (although you will naturally have a preference) is the ideal way to go?  In the same way that not many drummers practice playing open handed but stick religiously to crossover?

I've already been pulled up about that left hand grip with a view to 'holding it like a tube of toothpaste not wringing its neck' - and holding the stick closer to the end.

These are some of the reasons why I wanted to have lessons - as much for good habits and techniques as providing the encouragement and push back, making me explore the drums rather than just learning parrot fashion.

Pleased that you think I'm doing well though 😎😁

Edited by DaytonaRik
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DaytonaRik said:

Thanks...

If you're serious about getting pretty decent at drumming, have a look at these, please...

Clipboard01.thumb.jpg.29f14f8bb10bbce26579d90d77929f23.jpg Clipboard02.thumb.jpg.d8353971b21a150a8b68bbd76b2ae4b7.jpg

That's a page taken from the Max Abrams method. Have a look, show it to your tutor, and see if it inspires. This doesn't replace the 'four to the floor' playing in the video, but is the key (or rather, one of many...) that unlocks drumming in its entirety. The exercises on that page are Rudiments, for the snare, with bass drum, but are equally valuable played on other elements, such as the Hi-hat, toms, or even bass drum, using a double pedal. They are simple, but powerful. Just a thought; see what the tutor thinks of such an approach. :i-m_so_happy:

2 hours ago, DaytonaRik said:

...- relying on the head to push the beater back and not gravity when you lift your foot....

It's the spring (or springs...) in the pedal that return the beater, and these would be adjusted to the tension needed, depending on how one plays. At first, a fairly strong spring is required, but, as one's finesse increases, the tension is backed off, to enable more 'ghost notes', and a more precise control of the pedal. Too soft, and one gets double strokes and poor rebound control. Too hard, the ankle is fighting for control. Best a bit hard at the beginning; this tones up the muscles involved, which are not used to this stuff yet. Same for the hi-hat; the ankle soon tires, so exercise is needed just to build up the hitherto unused body parts. Yes, drumming becomes quite athletic, and needs preparation and progressive training. Eight-hour sessions are not a good idea at the start..! Medium-short sessions, with rests (or changes of target...) are recommended.  B|

9 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

It's the spring (or springs...) in the pedal that return the beater, and these would be adjusted to the tension needed, depending on how one plays. At first, a fairly strong spring is required, but, as one's finesse increases, the tension is backed off, to enable more 'ghost notes', and a more precise control of the pedal. Too soft, and one gets double strokes and poor rebound control. Too hard, the ankle is fighting for control. Best a bit hard at the beginning; this tones up the muscles involved, which are not used to this stuff yet. Same for the hi-hat; the ankle soon tires, so exercise is needed just to build up the hitherto unused body parts. Yes, drumming becomes quite athletic, and needs preparation and progressive training. Eight-hour sessions are not a good idea at the start..! Medium-short sessions, with rests (or changes of target...) are recommended.  B|

Of course -it's the springs in conjunction with releasing the pressure on the pedal - durrrrr!  Does being a cyclist impact this?  Lost of ankle/leg strength already going on here - toe down riding (out of the saddle efforts for climbs and sprints) feels very similar to the muscle groups used in heel-up, whilst a quick dabble at heel down gives that same foot/ankle feeling as a traditional pedalling technique.

I'm trying to stick to a 30 min session each day split into 2 halves - one half concentrating on the homework set by my tutor, the 2nd being time to experiment and try different things.

It's the first time that I've had a formal tutoring in an instrument - being self taught as a guitarist and transitioned to bass playing so I'm open to pretty much anything and everything re progressing this further - unlike my preference for playing rock on guitar/bass.

What can say about Thomas Lang!   I'm not a drummer, (I'm hardly a bass player) but his foot dexterity just blew my mind - why are drummers the butt end of musician jokes when they can do that?

Thanks to Dad3353 for providing this link because it has cheered me up in a very positive way after a bit of a tricky day.  

• Thanks 1