Why become a member? ×

Markbass Jeff Berlin

noisedude

Holy cow this amp is great ...... I've only had it an hour but this looks like the perfect combination of deep and punchy sound and light weight for me.

Haven't worked out the two filters yet because they seem to interplay enormously with the EQ - kick up the lower mids a bit and it makes whatever they're doing sound very different - but I look forward to experimenting. The thing sounds great with everything neutral though, and responds very powerfully to the EQ on my bass, so I can still concentrate on playing rather than tweaking.

Happy days! :)

Cheers Al, it really makes my Zoot cab sing too, they sound amazing together, but they won't stack at all!! So I might be able to prolong my gear lust a little longer to find a super-light, sensibly priced 12 + tweeter or similar that looks and sits well with the combo!! :)

It sounds like a setup to me ...... too much of a coincidence for my liking! :)

I was thinking more along the lines of a 12+tweeter because this Zoot really brings the combo alive with the tweeter on about a third. I know Alex Claber would kill me for making such a generalisation though. How does the sound of yours change when you plug in the 15" extension?

[quote name='noisedude' post='440153' date='Mar 20 2009, 11:48 AM']Holy cow this amp is great ...... I've only had it an hour but this looks like the perfect combination of deep and punchy sound and light weight for me.

Haven't worked out the two filters yet because they seem to interplay enormously with the EQ - kick up the lower mids a bit and it makes whatever they're doing sound very different - but I look forward to experimenting. The thing sounds great with everything neutral though, and responds very powerfully to the EQ on my bass, so I can still concentrate on playing rather than tweaking.

Happy days! :)[/quote]

I tend to use the EQ flat and only use the two filters on mine. In fact, I tend to tweak the VLE filter if I want to roll off some high end, and that's about it. Very nice combo, and amazingly light.

[quote name='noisedude' post='440284' date='Mar 20 2009, 01:51 PM']I was thinking more along the lines of a 12+tweeter because this Zoot really brings the combo alive with the tweeter on about a third. I know Alex Claber would kill me for making such a generalisation though.[/quote]

Honestly, am I that bad? (Yeah, they say that cat is a bad mother... shut yo mouth!)

What's wrong with the Zoot then?

Alex

[quote name='noisedude' post='440284' date='Mar 20 2009, 01:51 PM']It sounds like a setup to me ...... too much of a coincidence for my liking! :)

I was thinking more along the lines of a 12+tweeter because this Zoot really brings the combo alive with the tweeter on about a third. I know Alex Claber would kill me for making such a generalisation though. How does the sound of yours change when you plug in the 15" extension?[/quote]

It makes the sound brighter which is something I'm not looking for really hense the reason it's up for sale in another thread :rolleyes:

[quote name='simon1964' post='440350' date='Mar 20 2009, 03:18 PM']I tend to use the EQ flat and only use the two filters on mine. In fact, I tend to tweak the VLE filter if I want to roll off some high end, and that's about it. Very nice combo, and amazingly light.[/quote]
I play a little amateurish occasional slap and the VPF seems to scoop a really nice sound for that. Otherwise it does seem that just about flat and just about no filters is a do-everything tone that responds to my playing. Loving it.

[quote name='Monz' post='440358' date='Mar 20 2009, 03:29 PM']It makes the sound brighter which is something I'm not looking for really hense the reason it's up for sale in another thread :rolleyes:[/quote]
I promise I'll consider it very seriously but after all the cabs I've been through in the last year I'm thinking that if I'm going to spend my rent money on anything else it'll have to be heard before bought. :)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='440357' date='Mar 20 2009, 03:26 PM']Honestly, am I that bad? (Yeah, they say that cat is a bad mother... shut yo mouth!)

What's wrong with the Zoot then?

Alex[/quote]
Only that it won't stack with the combo, which makes it rather less convenient to store and to use. A little extra treble and a second large driver really seems to open up the sound, even at the same loudness as just the 15" in the combo alone.

The combo sounds great on its own, I'm just thinking about moving a bit more air and keeping plenty of clarity at loud gig volumes. This will be gigged in place of a traditional 4x10, 1x50 stack - so I need good punch and loudness without feeling like I'm thrashing it.

[quote]The combo sounds great on its own, I'm just thinking about moving a bit more air and keeping plenty of clarity at loud gig volumes. This will be gigged in place of a traditional 4x10, [b]1x50[/b] stack - so I need good punch and loudness without feeling like I'm thrashing it.[/quote]

You have a 1x50? :) You could stack your band on that puppy!

After a year of using my MB combo I find I have the bass at @ 1 oclock, midbass on 10-11 oclock & mid & treble on flat. The VLE at @10 oclock & the VPF is near enough off.
Gets a really good bassy sound from my bass & still has top end clarity whenever I slap or dust the higher end.

[quote name='noisedude' post='440364' date='Mar 20 2009, 03:34 PM']I promise I'll consider it very seriously but after all the cabs I've been through in the last year I'm thinking that if I'm going to spend my rent money on anything else it'll have to be heard before bought. :)[/quote]

You are at Leeds and I am in Barnsley trying is not a problem if you are serious

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='440494' date='Mar 20 2009, 05:53 PM']Maybe not stacking is trying to tell you something. The matching cab seems like a good idea.[/quote]
You're right, of course. The Zoot will have to go either way, I can't be leaning on a stack that dumps me flat on my face every time. :)

[quote name='xgsjx' post='440534' date='Mar 20 2009, 06:35 PM']You have a 1x50? :rolleyes: You could stack your band on that puppy!

After a year of using my MB combo I find I have the bass at @ 1 oclock, midbass on 10-11 oclock & mid & treble on flat. The VLE at @10 oclock & the VPF is near enough off.
Gets a really good bassy sound from my bass & still has top end clarity whenever I slap or dust the higher end.[/quote]
I'm really trying to avoid scooping my mids out, if anything a slightly more aggressive put in the low-mids is my usual tone. But with this amp, anything I push seems to disrupt the balance - I like the detail, I like the thump, I like the amount of finger noise ..... so my conclusion, at least at the end of day 2, is that I will leave it all more or less flat. Maybe a touch of VLE at higher volume and possible some VPF for when there's a lot of slap.

[quote name='Monz' post='440548' date='Mar 20 2009, 06:54 PM']You are at Leeds and I am in Barnsley trying is not a problem if you are serious[/quote]
I'm thinking seriously about it but need to budget and sell some stuff before shelling out any more. Let me work out whether it's going to be possible and get back to you. If I miss out in the meantime then that will be my own fault.

[quote name='leschirons' post='442035' date='Mar 22 2009, 09:24 PM']I understand the plan at Markbass was to actually make an amp that gives you the sound of your bass when all controls are neutral. I don't touch mine, just the VPF. Any other tweeks are on the bass. (And I can lift it, heaven)[/quote]
Which is quite an aspiration for them to have. And maybe they achieved it. I really love how a tweak of my Wimbish's bass boost turns my mild-mannered finger tone into a thundering rib-rattling monster through this thing. :)