Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Little Bastard Question

Quilly

Hi Folks

I saw the last 8 x LB-30s being assembled on the Ashdown FB page for dispatch and I noticed one interesting thing: On the Ashdown builds there were 3 transformers. i.e. 2 large transformers at the rear corners and a much smaller one in front of the RHS transformer, behind where the VU meter would be. Mine just has 2. Mine is a PRC one. Just wondering what this could be and why is it apparently optional.       

Edited by Quilly

I'm not too familiar with this model, but a third, smaller transformer is likely to be a power supply choke. They're not strictly transformers as they have only a single winding, and they act as part of the power supply filtering.

Some amps use a resistor in the same spot, but a resistor drops a little voltage and the series resistance can cause the voltage to sag under load, so a choke is generally considered an upgrade.

10 minutes ago, Merton said:

I only have 2 transformers in mine too. Could it be an additional transformer for converting to 110V for USA perhaps, so they don't have to change the main PSU transformer?

That crossed my mind as they were heading stateside.  

• 4 weeks later...