Why become a member? ×

IEM tips

Jakester

Does anyone have any recommendation for IEM tips?

I have a set of Etymotic ER6’s that work fine as IEMs and have done for years.

However, the other day I caught the wire on something as I moved and it yanked the left earphone out of my ear but left the tip in my ear canal - quite worrying at the time, but sorted with some tweezers. 

Since then it’s happened again, this time when I just removed the earphone as normal, which has never happened before, so I think the force of the initial event may have damaged/distorted the tip. 

The drivers themselves are fine, but does anyone have any tip recommendations? I need a good isolation seal as I use them with drums, so foam tips tend to be out. I also have large ear holes, as I found when buying earplugs for sleeping and the largest size nearly disappeared without trace into my lugholes!!

Part 1.  I had a set of molded earplugs made a few years ago but even with a low attenuation filter I found the exclusion too much and stopped using them. 

Part 2.  For IEMs I have a set of the KZ S10s but never found any tips that worked well. 

Earlier this year I had a bit of a light bulb moment and joined those two dots - I stuck the KZs into the molded earplug with clear silicone mastic - it fitted nicely into the hole where the filter slotted in.  Worked a treat - makes the KZs sound even better and I get absolutely nil bleed from outside noise.

Edited by Paul S
spelin