Why become a member? ×

Replacing pups and lectrickery

Eight

I have this Curbow right. Love it and its got this slap switch which gives you a kinda cool sound for slapping (apparently - I don't slap).

Still thinking about buying that Curbow5 from Crez. But because I never use the slap switch on the one I already have, I wondered about changing the pickups and electronics on the 5 to something more suitable for metal. Not sure what.

How easy/time consuming/expensive a job would this be? Ordinarily I'd probably think it wouldnt be worth it and should put the money towards a bass more geared up for what I'll use. However, I do lurve the Curbow reduced body and feel of the necks.

Any thoughts?

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='441060' date='Mar 21 2009, 01:28 PM']Are you trying to fix a problem that isn't there? If you don't need the slap switch, can you ignore it?[/quote]
Well, yes I am probably am considering fixing a problem that isn't there. But it was a thought that came out of wanting (not really needing) a bass for a specific job and not quite feeling that a stock Curbow is right. Its not just the slap switch really, the Curbows seem very punchy to me, which is great, but not exactly what I'm after next.

Changing the pups and perhaps putting in a more generic 3-band eq might work for me (this would probably leave the switch unused) but I don't know how much any of this would cost so have no real idea whether this is something even worth thinking about.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='441691' date='Mar 22 2009, 01:36 PM']Sounds like you should leave alone. I believe in not altering stuff unless it's absolutely necessary.
You could sell it ,then look for something more suitable for your requirements etc. :)[/quote]
I haven't bought it yet. :rolleyes:

I have one Curbow which I love and there's no way I'd change it or sell it. My thinking was whether to get another and try to shape its sound into something that fits better with what I want Bass No. 3 to do.

[quote name='Eight' post='441692' date='Mar 22 2009, 01:39 PM']I haven't bought it yet. :rolleyes:

I have one Curbow which I love and there's no way I'd change it or sell it. My thinking was whether to get another and try to shape its sound into something that fits better with what I want Bass No. 3 to do.[/quote]

Oh yeah, you did say earlier : :D Now I understand. If I was buying another one ,I think that I would sill leave it as is tho' :)

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='441702' date='Mar 22 2009, 01:48 PM']If I was buying another one ,I think that I would sill leave it as is tho' :rolleyes:[/quote]
There's a part of me that doesn't like modifying things. But then that other part of me is saying that maybe I'd have an ideal bass if I did.

Ah hell I dunno. Thinking out loud really. :)