Jump to content

What key is it in?? Harmony thread


Caz
 Share

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, Caz said:

Good point on Get Lucky - noted that the chord is E instead of E7.

I think I've got another good one here.. this morning I was learning Etta James' I Just Want To Make Love To You. Between 30-40 seconds you can hear someone telling someone they're playing the wrong note twice, first time kind of discretely and the second time he sounds whizzed! Sounds like he's saying "it's F-sharp Maloney", this is over the Bb7, Eb7 chords. I can't hear which one is the wrong note though! So here's a pop quiz for anyone who feels like it... Who's Maloney and on which transposing instrument does F# make sense?

Never noticed that, but when you have heard it you can't unhear it.

Hard to find any information on who played on those songs. Recorded at argo records, a subdivision of chess, but it doesn't say who played on it.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to update, he's saying "it's F# moron" not Maloney 😂

Knew about Hey Jude at 2:58 but I'll need to listen to Louie Louie, which part of the tune is it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Caz said:

😂

Knew about Hey Jude at 2:58 but I'll need to listen to Louie Louie, which part of the tune is it?

 The drummer admitted that he yelled "fcuk" after fumbling a drum fill at 0:54 on the record.

Edited by Hobbayne
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Another interesting one I came across this week... Happy by Pharrell Williams. F minor seems to work even though the chords are all F dominants.. bluesy minor/major 3rd thing happening, and playing F minor pentatonic over it sounds good. Then the chorus chords Dbmaj7, Cm7, F7 relative to Ab maj would be IV, IIIm7, VI7

Would you agree with that or is there another / better way to think about this tune?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Caz said:

Dbmaj7, Cm7, F7 relative to Ab maj would be IV, IIIm7, VI7

In general (but I suppose not always), I'd expect one of the chords in a progression to be the I (that's why it's called the "home" key: because you return there after going on a journey).  So I'd go with bVI V I in F.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 06/02/2021 at 10:51, Caz said:

Another interesting one I came across this week... Happy by Pharrell Williams. F minor seems to work even though the chords are all F dominants.. bluesy minor/major 3rd thing happening, and playing F minor pentatonic over it sounds good. Then the chorus chords Dbmaj7, Cm7, F7 relative to Ab maj would be IV, IIIm7, VI7

Would you agree with that or is there another / better way to think about this tune?

'Happy' is in a similar vein to 'American Boy' imo. Apart from the 1 chord, everything else suggests minor. However, the melody is much more rooted in blues, so you could think of it as F blues (maybe mixolydian?) instead. That b6 chord is the outlier, obviously. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...