Why become a member? ×

All gone via ebay, I am now bassless :(

john_the_bass

Revised my requirements to very simply a Gibson ES-335. Seen a couple but details aren't especially forthcoming on one in particular so I am still looking.

I have this:

2002 3EQ Stingray 4 with OHSC. Bass is virtually mint and has a set of Elixirs on of which the coating is starting to peel at the pickup end. I had it dated on the EBMM forum - I think it's April or June 2002.

And this:

2005 USA P Bass S1 with OHSC. Bass is in excellent condition, it's not mint, but there are no chips, dents, dings, scuffs or missing paint - just buckle rash on the back really, which hasn't split the finish, but I suppose because it's black, it shows up a bit more, and there is some wear from plastic cuff buttons on the forearm contour - but again, not through the finish and probably shows up more because it's black. I suppose it looks like the lacquer has dulled a bit in that area. Oh, and there is a mark on the very end of the headstock where I whacked it on the big glass lampshade in the diining room - entirely my fault, see the pic below of the mark. This must be a regular thing as my first P bass had had the same treatment a long time before I ever laid eyes on it. I know everybody says the same thing, but it is the best P Bass I've ever played, which is why I still have it and not the other two P Basses I've owned (my JV included). Both basses were set up by Howard Smith in Leicester, but I think he has done a particularly good job with this one. Currently has an almost dead set of D'Addario half rounds fitted, but I will change these if you prefer.

Anyway, due to current circumstances, I can't really part with them for cash as it will probably disappear before I can get another guitar, so if anybody has a 335 that they would be looking to trade (or a very good Les Paul that I could possibly trade for a 335 somewhere down the line), then I would be very open to the idea. I have ZERO spare cash at the moment as I have basically no income while I am looking for another job. So if you have either a 335 in Cherry ideally, but also like the tobacco bursts or a good Les Paul (Custom or a nice Standard - not really after a Studio, Classic, Special, Junior. Would also consider a Deluxe) and you would like a couple of nice basses, please get in touch.

Edited by john_the_bass

I know it's not exactly what you're looking for but it could well do the job. I've got a Giffin Q7, which does a great Tele and Strat sound, plus more raunchy P90-type tones. By far the best guitar I've ever played, which is why I have kept it. Here's a picture of Andy Summers playing the very one I have: [url="http://www.giffinguitars.com/client_list.htm"]http://www.giffinguitars.com/client_list.htm[/url]. I quite fancy swapping it for the Stingray. As it's such a rare guitar, I'd be happy to let you have it on trial. I've also got the original (rave) review from Guitarist magazine if you'd like to see it.
Have I told the story about the time I walked into Roger Giffin's workshop and he had Hank Marvin's red Strat on the bench? Yes, that one! I actually picked it up. Hank had taken it in to a repairer on Denmark Street, who had made a real mess of it. I couldn't believe it! That repairer is still in business, and quite well known, but my lips are sealed as to his identity.

[quote name='stevie' post='439442' date='Mar 19 2009, 05:11 PM']I know it's not exactly what you're looking for but it could well do the job. I've got a Giffin Q7, which does a great Tele and Strat sound, plus more raunchy P90-type tones. By far the best guitar I've ever played, which is why I have kept it. Here's a picture of Andy Summers playing the very one I have: [url="http://www.giffinguitars.com/client_list.htm"]http://www.giffinguitars.com/client_list.htm[/url]. I quite fancy swapping it for the Stingray. As it's such a rare guitar, I'd be happy to let you have it on trial. I've also got the original (rave) review from Guitarist magazine if you'd like to see it.
Have I told the story about the time I walked into Roger Giffin's workshop and he had Hank Marvin's red Strat on the bench? Yes, that one! I actually picked it up. Hank had taken it in to a repairer on Denmark Street, who had made a real mess of it. I couldn't believe it! That repairer is still in business, and quite well known, but my lips are sealed as to his identity.[/quote]

I wish I had a Stingray to trade..........

el-bumpo. I have radically revised my requirements as I have swapped my SG for a Mesa Express so I am looking for another humbucker equipped guitar, particularly a 335.
The original post has been updated with pics.

Edit: Must stress, not looking for anything especially fancy, but must be in excellent condition - ideally, the same condition as the basses. Doesn't need to be anything old or special - anything from the last 10 years will do, likewise it doesn't need to have a fancy top (although it would help with an LP Standard).
Cheers

Edited by john_the_bass

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='453718' date='Apr 3 2009, 10:21 PM']Well I'll - er - address that at some point in the future. When I've got a bit more cash, I'll wait until you buy another P Bass Nick and then I'll take it off your hands!![/quote]

OHM has already replaced the one he sold to me!

How about John_The_Apostate :)