Why become a member? ×

New Trace Elliot amps - the compressor

EBS_freak

I was checking out the new Trace range at the weekend and I was particularly intrigued by the new 7 band head that I was testing out.

Is anybody with me when I say that the compression is completely useless on it? I don't quite know how to describe it, but it seems to be a gated "sag" type effect... not a useful compression in anyway.

Anybody else found this or am I alone. I was a little confused by it because the dual compressor of days gone by I thought was actually quite good...

I agree - tried one in a shop recently and it seemed to 'pump' or 'pulse' along with what you're playing. I think the compressors on the 12 band jobbie are different. I had an old AH300 7 - gibson era - that didn't do this - it sounded good!

Edited by King Tut

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='437666' date='Mar 17 2009, 06:51 PM']That'll teach you to look at another amp :)[/quote]

I was trying out a bass - the Trace was the only thing available to plug in.

Hang on... "I was trying out a bass" - that's worse right...?

Actually, I was trying out a cheapy Peavey Cirrus vs the "proper" expensive version (2.5k I think they were trying to fob me off for) - and the £400 version ate the proper version... sounded better and played a hell of a lot better. I wasn't in the mood for buying because they weren't in the same league as my current basses (by some way) but it was quite interesting to see the difference.

Anyway, what's this Genz Benz Shittle? Sorry, Shuttle. :rolleyes: *

*apologies to any Shuttle owners. It's not an attack on equipment, I actually quite like them infact!

Anyway... back to the compressor...

"Pulse" - that's exactly right. It just doesn't do what it says on the tin. It's quite bizarre. I only briefly flirted with the Gibson era stuff and I can't recall that doing this pulse thing.

Whatever it is, Trace (Peavey or whoever they are) got it very, very wrong.

Presumably the 12 band version are a rehashed make of the old dual band compressors...?

Pumping and breathing are common characteristics of incorrectly used compressors - and as the one on that amp only has one knob then whoever designed it has screwed up the attack and release times.

The old TE dual band is quite nice apart from its amazing ability to remove everything below 80Hz from your sound.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='438349' date='Mar 18 2009, 03:34 PM']Pumping and breathing are common characteristics of incorrectly used compressors - and as the one on that amp only has one knob then whoever designed it has screwed up the attack and release times.

The old TE dual band is quite nice apart from its amazing ability to remove everything below 80Hz from your sound.

Alex[/quote]

Truth. Indeed - now you mention it, I have got the same sort of "effect" out of a rack compressor by fiddling with the attack and release.

I can't remember much about the TE dual band I had - it was nicked and I never replaced it - I just remember thinking that is was OK and defo didn't pulse like the one on the amp I tried! Back then I didn't really use compressors, I just wanted more toys... and I think the big selling point for me at the time was the LED that changed from green to red as it overloaded. Talk about being a kid...

The Dual Band compressor went through 3 stages: the early (and best) version with the SMX series, then a revised version with the GP12 series (late 90s), then this new one with the Peavey-era bits. IMO the late 90s middle-era one was pretty sh*t in comparison to the other two.

As for the 7-band compressor, it has always been sh*t since they introduced it on the SMC range in the md/late 90s. Always hated it and always will :)