Why become a member? ×

And today I'll mostly be listening to Steve Miller Band

Beedster

Having recently done Yes and Warren Zevon, the next stop on my 70's music odyssey is Steve Miller. Admittedly I was listening to this on bloody nice headphones which helped put the bass front and centre, but the bass tone and the bass part itself are just lovely, bass tone pulled back to about 1% away from being muddy, and just works. And I didn't expect a bass solo 2 mins in :)

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

The very excellent Gerald Johnson. I nearly filled in for him at a soundcheck in the Hammy Odeon circa 1983 when he was stuck in traffic. Sadly he is a lefty so I didn’t offer my services...

One of those ‘could have been me’ moments! Thanks for identifying the player, the sing is far from my favourite Steve Miller, but I love the bass 

• Like 1

And I love this, compare and contrast! A great insight into how a riff that was written into one song eventually found its way into a far more famous song, whilst a producer or record exec said "Hey Guys, we need a more 80's feel for this, how about some fake handclaps, a horrible rhythm guitar part and a few whoo whoos like in Sympathy for the Devil....."?

The one they should have released, although it would have scuppered The Joker so god knows how much that would have cost them :)

The one they released.....

Edited by Beedster

44 minutes ago, Beedster said:

And I love this, compare and contrast! A great insight into how a riff that was written into one song eventually found its way into a far more famous song, whilst a producer or record exec said "Hey Guys, we need a more 80's feel for this, how about some fake handclaps, a horrible rhythm guitar part and a few whoo whoos like in Sympathy for the Devil....."?

The one they should have released, although it would have scuppered The Joker so god knows how much that would have cost them :)

That is the bastard offspring of the Joker and TTM&R.

• Like 1