Jump to content
Beedster

Single mic into two Apps at the same time on MacBook?

Recommended Posts

Folks

I need to record an interview with a guy who has really poor internet connectivity, OK for a conversation but not great to record. What I want to do is use podcasting software Zencastr or similar to conduct the session itself, but whilst I want him to speak to me live online and record that via the software at my end, I'd like him at the same time to record his side of the conversation to mp3/wav locally and then send me that file. However, this hasn't seemed to work to date, perhaps because mic access is like camera, you can only allocate the hardware to one app at a time. Two questions, firstly should it work, and secondly if not, is there a way around it? Thanks. Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, with apologies, the guy I'm interviewing called me yesterday and said he can't download Loopback, turn out his Mac is a PC!!!! Any thoughts on equivalent options for a PC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ultimately it might be easier for you to transcribe his part of the conversation and then get him to re-record it on his own computer afterwards, and send you that for editing back in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Ultimately it might be easier for you to transcribe his part of the conversation and then get him to re-record it on his own computer afterwards, and send you that for editing back in.

Yeh, I know, but we tried that and it sounded really dead. The conversation is one in which we challenge each other on a few things and it just didn't work multi-tracked :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/10/2020 at 10:57, Beedster said:

What I want to do is use podcasting software Zencastr or similar to conduct the session itself, but whilst I want him to speak to me live online and record that via the software at my end, I'd like him at the same time to record his side of the conversation to mp3/wav locally and then send me that file.

Isn't the point of Zencastr exactly that; i.e. it automatically records each person locally and then sends you all the files?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jrixn1 said:

Isn't the point of Zencastr exactly that; i.e. it automatically records each person locally and then sends you all the files?

Yes, it's really not very good sound quality on a poor internet connection however :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, just sounds odd , as the local recording quality shouldn't be affected by a poor internet connection (only that the file will take longer to send).  Has he got a decent mic/headset setup?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Ok, just sounds odd , as the local recording quality shouldn't be affected by a poor internet connection (only that the file will take longer to send).  Has he got a decent mic/headset setup?

That's what should be the case but doesn't appear to be. Might be a local sound problem so I've sent him a decent mic to use. Belts and braces re zencastr on this as we're recording three interviews and I want a back up in terms of both potential poor quality and - as has luckily only happened once with zencastr in six months of quite high use - loss of interviewee audio file. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...