Why become a member? ×

Full size Emanuel Wilfer 5-string double bass back on sale!

Hi All,

Due to wrist/shoulder/hand problems I'm having to sell this beast.

It's a full size German 5-string with a swell back, made by Emanuel Wilfer. It's about 12 years old and has a huge sound.

I love it, but I'm not very tall (about 5'7") and after years playing it I've had to admit that it's just too big for me and is aggravating my hand problems (the stop is 42.5inch)

Flanker and Subaudio has seen it in the flesh and I'm sure they'd both testify to it's great sound.

You can see and hear it here...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5QS7vzb-dw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5QS7vzb-dw[/url]

There's a solo at 3:30.... (and sorry about the foreign language! :) )

and another here...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHT9FuWEtuo...feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHT9FuWEtuo...feature=related[/url]

I'm after £4000 firm. comes with a padded cover (but could do with a new case really)

There is a crack on the headstock due to an emergency stop in my car but this has been professionaly glued and has been stable for the 8-9 years since it happened (and is not a load bearing part). (see below) Otherwise the usual battle scars that you'd expect on a gigging bass, but nothing requiring attention.

Cheers,
Daf

Edited by daflewis

Thanks guys,

You both know how sad I'll be to see this go, but it's either downsize (literaly!) or play about one week in four.....

BTW Steve, I think you're being a bit hard on yourself!! wasn't it the first time you'd ever got up close with one of these? :)

Haha to someone not acquainted with double basses the size of that just looks absolutely ridiculous! I did try to play one once but it was like wrestling with Rick Waller. They do sound phenomenal of course, this one especially so no doubt.

[quote name='graemecohen' post='436282' date='Mar 16 2009, 04:49 PM']Haha to someone not acquainted with double basses the size of that just looks absolutely ridiculous![/quote]

Yeh, even though it doesn't show much detail I added that full length pic. of it up against my front door as I think it gives a pretty good indication of it's size.

Hi Daf
not in the market for a new bass...
However, that's no reason not to think about these things.
I've got a Stentor Profundo (hand-carved, correct timbers, 4 string, low action - mainly because it needs setting up properly and playing) sitting in a shop out of sight and out of mind...I bought it as a spare but use a 5 string NS instead when I need to
would you consider a swap plus cash as an option? just playing with ideas...
cheers
Gareth

[quote name='GarethHD' post='437257' date='Mar 17 2009, 01:45 PM']Hi Daf
not in the market for a new bass...
However, that's no reason not to think about these things.
I've got a Stentor Profundo (hand-carved, correct timbers, 4 string, low action - mainly because it needs setting up properly and playing) sitting in a shop out of sight and out of mind...I bought it as a spare but use a 5 string NS instead when I need to
would you consider a swap plus cash as an option? just playing with ideas...
cheers
Gareth[/quote]

Hi Gareth,
I really wasn't planning on another "new" double bass, but, as you say "that's no reason not to think about these things."
I'd certainly be interested in a look - where are you based? I'm in Bedfordshire, so I hope you're not going to say Aberdeen.....
cheers,
Daf

Edited by daflewis

Oh no,
I fancy both of these!

Is it a high C or low B, and what is the string length?
Is it a D or Eb neck?

I have a 19th century German flat back with a slim neck if you'd be interested in a trade.

cheers
Keith
[attachment=22308:DSC02575.JPG][attachment=22307:DSC02573.JPG]

Hi Keith,

It's an Eb neck with a low B (the only way to go if you ask me! :))and is 42.5 inch (108cm) scale length, so not too long considering the body size.

A 19th century german would be perhaps more what i had in mind if trading, but that said, when i bought this one i wasn't expecting to buy a new instrument, it was the only modern instrument i tried that didn't sound all "zingy", if you see what i mean.

I see you're in Harrogate, do you ever get a bit further south? as I'm a bit tied to my show (6 days a week) :wacko:

Cheers,
Daf

Edited by daflewis

[quote name='daflewis' post='439252' date='Mar 19 2009, 02:06 PM']Hi Keith,

It's an Eb neck with a low B (the only way to go if you ask me! :))and is 42.5 inch (108cm) scale length, so not too long considering the body size.

A 19th century german would be perhaps more what i had in mind if trading, but that said, when i bought this one i wasn't expecting to buy a new instrument, it was the only modern instrument i tried that didn't sound all "zingy", if you see what i mean.

I see you're in Harrogate, do you ever get a bit further south? as I'm a bit tied to my show (6 days a week) :wacko:

Cheers,
Daf[/quote]

Ah, I have a bass with that neck and scale length, it takes some adjusting to when one is used to 41.5"

I might be able to con the missus into a day out sometime :rolleyes:
Where could I see the bass?

Edited by Mr Bassman

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='439332' date='Mar 19 2009, 03:43 PM']I might be able to con the missus into a day out sometime :)
Where could I see the bass?[/quote]

It's at my home at the moment, J13 M1 (ampthill) but depending on where you end up on your "day out" I could meet you somewhere if it's easier - the only problem would be finding somewhere to try them out.

That's a bargain.

I borrowed one similar for a gig last year and was really impressed. Very big and deep sounding for a new instrument. Don't be put off by the size, the one I tried was very comfortable to play. I'd be very tempted myself but until I sell my Mentec, there be no money to spend.

Good luck with the sale Daf.

[quote name='chrkelly' post='439497' date='Mar 19 2009, 06:04 PM']That's a bargain.

I borrowed one similar for a gig last year and was really impressed. Very big and deep sounding for a new instrument. Don't be put off by the size, the one I tried was very comfortable to play. I'd be very tempted myself but until I sell my Mentec, there be no money to spend.

Good luck with the sale Daf.[/quote]

Thanks for the recommendation Chris,

It was very comfy to play for years and I'm not sure why I'm having problems now, but it seems to be down to the extra stretch back to reach 1/2 and 1st position due to the body size - think I'm just getting old :)

BTW if I had £9K to spare I'd be taking a good long look at your Mentec, but alas, no.

Hi Daf, I'd love to come and try this, I have a couple of german basses that I could offload (assuming I could find a buyer) that would mean I could afford it, unless you fancied a trade. I am working in Bahrain for the next 10 days back on 4th April. I'll PM you when I'm back and if you've still got it I'll arrange to come see it.
Jake

Hi Jake,
That sounds good, and I could well be up for a trade - I'm waiting to hear back about the other offers, but i doubt things will have moved to a conclusion before you get back so we'll talk then - have fun in Bahrain!
cheers,
Daf