Why become a member? ×

NBD Fender Precision Special.

Doddy

I recently got offered a trade on my old Mexican Standard Precision, for a Mexican Deluxe Series Precision Bass Special. I happily made the trade because the Special is a really nice bass, but I can't find much info about them.

It's got a passive PJ pickup configuration, '60s style slotted bridge, and is finished in matte black with a red tortoiseshell scratchplate.  The tuners and truss rod cavity look the same as my old Japanese Jazz Bass.

Does anyone have any info on these basses, as I haven't seen a passive PJ with a matte finish before. 

20201002_194626.jpg

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Pretty sure these were part of the catalogue when I got my 60th anniversary model in 2006. They were available in black but I’m pretty sure it was gloss. 

This is definitely a matte finish. The serial number dates it to 2002. 

15 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

These seem to be passive but the ones I remember were active.

Yeah, I think most of them are active.

From what I can gather, they were only made from 99 to 05ish.

I'm normally pretty good with knowing Fenders, but I'd never seen a Deluxe Series, passive PJ in a matte finish before.

I was looking for one of these a while back, and think I happened across a matt black one too. Think the early Specials were only available as a passive, and the most common colour was sunburst, along with CA red, white and black. Gold anodised plates were fitted on all I believe. Also most had rosewood fingerboards but some did have maple IIRC. 

This was a limited edition of the passive, the last ones before they turned to fully active in 2002. They were only available late 2001/2002.

The later history of this model was California Series then Precision Bass Special Deluxe Series (passive) then since 2002 Precision Bass Special Deluxe Series Active (although there have been the occasional FSR Passives since then, mainly for Guitar Centre in the States).

This should have had an anodised plate in a sort of smoky silver colour.  The limited edition bit was the matte black paint & scratchplate.

There was one up in Brum on Bumtree a few weeks back & he wanted £599 collected. Price was £100 too much for me especially with a 350 mile round trip.

Edited by karlfer

56 minutes ago, karlfer said:

This was a limited edition of the passive, the last ones before they turned to fully active in 2002. They were only available late 2001/2002.

The later history of this model was California Series then Precision Bass Special Deluxe Series (passive) then since 2002 Precision Bass Special Deluxe Series Active (although there have been the occasional FSR Passives since then, mainly for Guitar Centre in the States).

This should have had an anodised plate in a sort of smoky silver colour.  The limited edition bit was the matte black paint & scratchplate.

There was one up in Brum on Bumtree a few weeks back & he wanted £599 collected. Price was £100 too much for me especially with a 350 mile round trip.

Nice one. Cheers for the info.

It could be the same one as was on Gumtree, because it was off a guy from around that way. I swapped my old standard Precision because the guy wanted a white bass. I think I came off best.