such

TRADED: Fender MIJ Marcus Miller w/ Sadowsky VTC
£1000
Edinburgh

PRICE DROPPED: £900

Edit: I currently need a good P to work for an artist I like, so could be tempted by a straight swap for something of a similar value. Roadworn, Classic '50s Lacquer, Am Std, Am Pro? I do have an option to borrow one, and I'm a fussy f**ker, so will only go for one that really speaks to me. 

For sale is my Fender Marcus Miller signature Jazz Bass. I bought it on BassChat in around 2012; not sure when exactly or who from, since the messages are gone. It had been upgraded by the previous owner with a Sadowsky VTC preamp and Hipshot D-Tuner in matching reverse/nickel. You can say "modded, not upgraded" but I think it's hard to disagree these are legitimate upgrades. The VTC feature itself makes so much difference, the tone control being functional in both passive and active modes allows for some superb tones. Like, cutting most highs with the tone control while boosting treble with the active knob (which is centered somewhat lower, freq-wise) when on bridge pickup soloed, gets you that dark but focused and super spiky tone of electric jazz/fusion virtuoso. 

Then of course you get a superb slap tone, clean and classic jazz bass sounds and everything you can reasonably expect from a bass of this format. It's bright, punchy, meaty, growly, snappy, airy, open, clear and big. 

The bass is super playable. When I bought it, the nut was a tiny bit high, I found, so I got Andrew from Anaconda Basses (they weren't really a thing yet then, about to launch) to make me a brass one. It improved playability and effortlessness in lower registers, open string sound and sustain (possibly) and harmonics (audibly). 

It's as good a jazz bass as you'll get, if you're into this sort of thing. 

I recall checking the serial number once, and the result said 2007-2010. Also, I think it weighed at 4.1kg, will edit if I remember wrong. It's fairly light and very well balanced. The battery keeps forever. I changed it recently after more than 2 years. It was still going strong, just messed with my inner comfort. 

Unfortunately, I seem to have inherited arthritic tendencies, so combined with my long fingers, I can't really play a jazz neck anymore. I've commissioned a build of a bass based in some ways on this one, and it will also be funded by this sale - therefore no trades, I'm afraid. 

I'm willing to post, will need to figure it out though. I will change strings to brand new D'Addario XL steels or nickels (buyer's choice) in 45-105. 

DSCF3890.jpg

DSCF3905.jpg

DSCF3909.jpg

DSCF3902.jpg

DSCF3908.jpg

DSCF3891.jpg

DSCF3901 (1).jpg

DSCF3906.jpg

DSCF3898.jpg

DSCF3899.jpg

DSCF3896.jpg

DSCF3897.jpg

DSCF3904.jpg

DSCF3903.jpg

DSCF3895.jpg

DSCF3894.jpg

DSCF3892.jpg

DSCF3893.jpg

Edited by such
Price reduction
  • Like 5

Arthritic Tendencies would be a good name for a Suicidal Tendencies reunion tour...assuming there’s any of them left! Your upgrades have made a killer bass even better! Lovely stuff!

Edited by krispn
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think when @AndyTravis did a search for one, maybe a year ago or so, that may have triggered me selling this now. I wasn't ready at that time though, so it kept brewing under the surface. 

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Marky Screen
      Jazz wiring loom taken from a MIM 5 string in good nick.
      Comes with grounding lead and screws for those that like to shield their cavities.
      UK postage inc. 

• By Bassworks
      This bass is effectively a sister to my build diary for a PPJ5 in Surf Green that sold recently. I'll try to find some different pictures from the ones that I chose for that build diary. Feel Free to comment and ask questions along the way. I'll start with a recent photo, I'm just at the point of fitting the nut and John East UNI Pre active electronics, so this is nearly but not quite finished. It weighs in at exactly 4Kg with strings and everything else. It is a Chambered Swamp Ash body, Canadian Rock Maple asymmetric profile to the rear with a proprietary "thumb-groove" further slimming the fast "J"-like profile. It sports a compound radius Macassar Ebony fretboard 12"-20" radius with block inlays. The Daphne Blue Nitro has been lightly aged with a cryo-relic process. There is the usual high specification hardware and electronics from Hipshot, Bartolini and John East. This bass is available and I'll be shipping it out at the Black Friday week deal price from last year on her Surf Green sister. Complete with a branded Hiscox hard case and 2 years of free setup and service (fair use policy applies).
      Please DM me if you might be interested.
      Do head over to @bassworksluthiery on Facebook for other information, if you can't wait for me to populate this build diary over the next week!...
      Thanks for reading and enjoy!

• By Bassassin
      New Headless Birthday Bass Day!

Thanks to the sterling collaborative efforts of @Paul S and my lovely partner, I got this for me birfday! It's a Riverhead Unicorn RUB1090, from 1985-ish. I've wanted one of these since I tried one at the old Bass Centre in Wapping in 1985, and sadly found myself unequal to the £500 price tag!
      They don't turn up too often & I've missed out on one or two, including this one when it first came up a few months ago. Happily Paul gave me first refusal - and a great excuse to get it at no personal expense! So everyone's a winner!
      This is in nice condition for a 35-ish year old bass. A lot of these are pretty tatty, seemingly the factory finish wasn't too durable, but this has had a decent refin at some point, over the original matt black. The hardware's in near-new condition, which I'm surprised & very pleased about - many of these have corroded-looking metal parts. There's a little bit of fretwear, mostly under the E & A around the first 5 frets or so. A fret level/dress would help but I don't know if I'll bother - Paul's strung it with flats & the slight acoustic rattle doesn't seem to be audible when plugged in. Actually this is the first time I've had flats on a fretted bass in about 15 years & I'm surprised how well they work on this! Through my little Yamaha THR10 it sounds nice & full, with a bit of a Jazz growl to it. Pickups are passive single coils & fairly close to J positioning.
      First impressions are that it's a bit nicer to play than my Hohner B2A or Cort Space headlesses - the chunky pickups provide a more natural feeling hand/thumb position and the narrow (39mm nut) but fairly deep neck makes it feel pretty substantial.
      Very early impressions, I may try a bit of recording with it over the next few days. On the whole, I'm chuffed to bits!

• By binkybongo
      DOB 7 March 1969
      Possible trades 4 string- MM Fender Overwater Lakland
      Cheers.
      Pictures and video added
      This is a true beauty I’ve decided should be with someone else who will treasure it and play it more then I and I.
      I had one of these the first time around - then Ricks, Celinder and CS basses but always hankered back to a real 60s Jazz - then this very special laid-back looking instrument came up.
      Alder body with ebony fretboard and beautiful maple binding by master luthier Jimmy Moon. 'Very comfortable A' profile slim neck - slimmer than '64 CSs I've owned.
      The neck is in lovely condition, has a subtle flaming and like the rest of the bass has acquired the sweetest sound, character and the authentic patina and feel only 50 years can give.
      Sounds just as you would expect - an authoritative true vintage tone with a wide palette and a comfortable 9lb.
      Originally sunburst - pictured, the previous owner who bought the bass new. It has all original pick ups and electronics.  
      He took it for a set up to a music dealer where some oik damaged the truss rod which is when Mr Moon was commissioned to make the bass unique.
      The ebony fingerboard is gorgeous and as you can see is set off by the understated mother of pearl dots.
      That’s it.
      Stay safe, stay healthy and stay in tune.
      Based near Manchester, could meet within reason, comes with substantial Fender case.
      PS - I am a professional photographer - the buyer will receive a Marcus Miller poster with my compliments. https://www.william-ellis.com/

VID_20201218_095246.mp4