Why become a member? ×

10' speaker Aline fue cab

pakus

Hi everybody

I have a chillbass neo10 cab and a barefaced one10.

I would like improve the chillbass one with a new speaker because it sound too nasal for me

Anybody would recommend me any model for a 10 cab with classic sound? (As barefaced, for example)

Greetings

Paco

Hi Paco,

I recently made a 110 using an Eminence Basslite S2010, really pleased & actually a bit surprised how good & deep it sounds. I used Eminence speaker plans for ‘large ported’ design. I haven’t played it at gig volume so not sure how it holds up with some abuse ... 

There are more experienced members who will help / give advice, you might need to provide internal dimensions/port size etc for them :)

Edited by sifi2112

Looking at pictures of the Chillbass cab, it appears to be shaped more like a guitar cab - wide and not very deep. I can't see whether it has any porting, but it doesn't appear to be a sophisticated design. Was it expensive? If not, I would be inclined not to try to improve it. I'd sell it and put the proceeds, plus the money you were intending to spend on a replacement driver towards something like another BF 1x10. You will not make the Chillbass sound as good as the BF and you  will always notice the deficiency when you compare the two.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pakus said:

Thany you for the answer, sifi2112 I have seen that eminente basslite s2010 has 150 w  I was thinking in 250 w or more,

Where low frequencies are concerned the limiting factor far more often than not isn't the thermal power rating, it's the excursion limit, xmax. As a for instance, the Celestion BN10-300X has a 300 watt thermal rating, but with 4mm xmax it won't go any louder than the S2010, which also has 4mm xmax.

Celestion are using a more conservative method of rating Xmax than Eminence so direct comparisons aren't strictly valid. Eminence base theirs on 10% distortion so probably the Celestion would come out at around 5.5mm Xmax. That's a nice speaker at a good price and would be a bit of an upgrade on the BN10-200 which has a cone that starts to break up lower down than the 300X which may 'cure' the nasal sound, it may not go that much louder though. All the speakers you mention have a strong midrange rise in frequency response including the Barefaced that you like.

Just dropping any old speaker in a cab can be problematic, sometimes it works fine but you can get problems with a poor response or reduction in power handling. I wonder if the advice to sell the cab on and put the money towards a second barefaced would be better. Having two identical cabs is going to give you more of what you want and mixing cabs is going to give you something else.

It may be that like me you enjoy tweaking things and just generally experimenting with the cabs you have. I think that Celestion looks a bargain and would be a cheap option, if it doesn't work you could sell it on or build a cab from scratch optimised for the Celestion. Selling it on would probably get almost all of your money back.

• Like 1

The best 2x10 I have played and own is the Acme Low B-2  driven by my TC Electronics RH750 The B-2 is recommended to be driven up to 500 watts and the RH 750 is probably near that into 8 ohms I use this for my indy art punk band . For weight and portability in my function band I use  my other rig RH750 into  neodymium speakers in an EBS 1x12  or iceni purple chili 2x10 and /or Gallien Krueger 1x15 Which covers everything from roots reggae to funk,  with soul and pop in between and is light and fits into my hatchback. Long gone are  the days of carrying an HH 1x15 and a marshall bass 4x10 up two flights of stairs to a regular gig and the lightweights sound better tighter and less flappy, but I do miss my trouser flapping home made (babini designed) 2x15 and sound city 120 watt which felt good but probably sounded sh#t.

Edited by Kevin B

On 18/09/2020 at 11:46, Dan Dare said:

Looking at pictures of the Chillbass cab, it appears to be shaped more like a guitar cab - wide and not very deep. I can't see whether it has any porting, but it doesn't appear to be a sophisticated design. Was it expensive? If not, I would be inclined not to try to improve it. I'd sell it and put the proceeds, plus the money you were intending to spend on a replacement driver towards something like another BF 1x10. You will not make the Chillbass sound as good as the BF and you  will always notice the deficiency when you compare the two.

Good advice.

Phil Starr, good thoughts.

Perhaps it had been better if selling the chilibass and buy another barefaced. Indeed I love the one10 model.

As you said, I like experiment things so finally I changed the driver with a beyma 10g40 because I found who selled one new for 90 euros to my home. 

Make the ads for selling the chilli made me feel so lazy that I prefered the easiest and most exciting: try the beyma!

Dan Dare and Chienmortbb, the chili bass is bigger than the barefaced.

50367479903_47d8461155_c.jpg2020-09-21_05-40-40 by pajarillopillo, en Flickr

The question was if the box can manage twice the power! Of course now is heavier but I have changed a driver of 200 W with one of 400 w!

I still haven't tried play up to big volume but it sounds at hombe much better than with the celestion,

I am happy only with that, perhaps I prefer this sound to the barefaced one!

It sounds almost as it is a 12, mediumbassy, very clear and soft

thank you all

Edited by pakus

5 hours ago, pakus said:

After test it I found a buzz when turn volume up

I will investigate what's the matter

I'd bet the grille cloth/badge is rattling. Size is not everything. As Bill points out, there is a great deal to building a cab that performs well. If what you've done works for you, that's good, but the BF is a far better and more realised design. It will also hold value far better - you are unlikely to recoup much of what you've spent on the Chillbass plus the replacement driver.

Edited by Dan Dare