Why become a member? ×

I'd forgotten how much I like New Order

molan

Watched the Bernard Sumner interview on Sky Arts & I'd really forgotten just how much I used to like New Order during their 'glossy' synth funk pop era.

My favourite has to be the full version of Perfect Kiss with Hooky riffing away with that great tone that cuts through all the sheen of the synth production :)

I especially like how they break it all down in the middle & then start bringing everything back in again :rolleyes:

[quote name='YouMa' post='434519' date='Mar 14 2009, 12:12 PM']I always wonder what would have happened if ian curtis had lived and gone over to the u.s.[/quote]

didn't he join Interpol?

...and his kids are in Editors, The Rakes and White Lies.....

[quote name='SJA' post='434586' date='Mar 14 2009, 02:49 PM']didn't he join Interpol?

...and his kids are in Editors, The Rakes and White Lies.....[/quote]

No he only had a daughter and she is a phtographer,i assume you were trying to make a joke?

[quote name='SJA' post='434586' date='Mar 14 2009, 01:49 PM']didn't he join Interpol?

...and his kids are in Editors, The Rakes and White Lies.....[/quote]

Poor relations that don't come anywhere close to the majesty and power of Joy Division.

The closest I've heard to what JD could have produced next would be Dragons:

[quote name='BigRedX' post='434828' date='Mar 14 2009, 07:53 PM']Poor relations that don't come anywhere close to the majesty and power of Joy Division.[/quote]

I know this is probably heresy but I always struggled with Joy Division. I realise that this may have partially their intention but they were jsut too intense for me and, ultimately I found them boring. I remember buying each album when it first came out thinking it was going to be "the one" but, for me, it never was :)

I've always thought they've been more revered since Ian Curtis wasn't around but that's probabl;y just me being cynical.

Only thing that really worked for me was Love Will Never Tear Us Apart which I played to death when it was released :rolleyes:

I was heavily into them when I was at school-probably the only kid in the school who was! They did some cracking stuff-'Closer' is my favourite album, followed by 'Still',and 'Atmosphere' is just breathtaking. I agree it's not exactly a barrel of laughs though, not that that's necessarily a bad thing. Funnily enough, I don't listen to them much any more.
Used to love New Order for the first few years, I lost interest when they started making silly videos of blokes dressed up as turtles slapping each other round the face.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='434828' date='Mar 14 2009, 07:53 PM']Poor relations that don't come anywhere close to the majesty and power of Joy Division.[/quote]
+1000

The most intense gig I ever went to (Eric's club Liverpool, '80)
N.O. always sounded a bit sub-Kraftwerk to me, but at least they had the guts to carry on and try something different

I think joy divisions live stuff is amazing,ian curtis was a fantastic frontman,i dont think a lot of people have really listened properly to joy division,it took me a few times to realise how raw and agressive the stuff was,no love lost is awesome,especially that nazi imagery about the house of dolls at the start. Ians voice is so guttural and screaming.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='434828' date='Mar 14 2009, 07:53 PM']The closest I've heard to what JD could have produced next would be Dragons:[/quote]

yeah, they sent me an add request on myspace (I guess they added everyone on Joy Division's friend list).
but i guess their record label didn't have the promotional power/budget to do a blanket-bombing plugging campaign like Universal did for White Lies, hence somewhat lower chart placings...

[quote name='YouMa' post='434771' date='Mar 14 2009, 06:33 PM']No he only had a daughter and she is a phtographer,i assume you were trying to make a joke?[/quote]I was recording in 1987 in macclesfield, at a place called "The Cottage".
The engineer was a guy called Roger Bowden and he was married to Ian Curtis's widow Debbie.
Their daughter was only small, back then and was doing our heads in playing the theme from "Thomas the Tank Engine" over and over again.
She was however the spit of him, very disturbing.
After the first day of recording, we stayed in a lovely house, as provided by Roger. I think it was Debbies Mum who welcomed us and showed us to our shared room.
Later the next day, we were told that we had stayed in the very room where Ian had commited suicide.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='434890' date='Mar 14 2009, 10:24 PM']I was recording in 1987 in macclesfield, at a place called "The Cottage".
The engineer was a guy called Roger Bowden and he was married to Ian Curtis's widow Debbie.
Their daughter was only small, back then and was doing our heads in playing the theme from "Thomas the Tank Engine" over and over again.
She was however the spit of him, very disturbing.
After the first day of recording, we stayed in a lovely house, as provided by Roger. I think it was Debbies Mum who welcomed us and showed us to our shared room.
Later the next day, we were told that we had stayed in the very room where Ian had commited suicide.[/quote]

I agree about natalie,she does look a lot like her father. She is a good photographer.