Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Mag420 15" Speaker Upgrade?

Moos3h

Hi folks,

I've an Ashdown Mag 420 Rootmaster 1x15" combo and would like to lose some weight and eek out more volume so am considering a speaker upgrade.

I'm thinking go for 4 ohm to squeeze out all the power and something relatively efficient so have been looking at the Faital Pro 15 PR400.

Anyone experience of doing this upgrade in the Mag combos and have any recommendations? The speaker is nearly the cost of the amp when j bought it so that gives me confidence it's probably better than what's in there but is it a good match for the cab?

Thanks!

Edited by Moos3h
Typing

Before you can figure out whether your replacement driver of choice will work, you need to calculate your cab's internal volume. Faital Pro is a quality brand and the driver you mention is used in a few high-end cabs. However, its parameters tell me that it needs a reasonable volume to perform properly - and combo cabinets tend to be on the small side. My guesstimate is that you'll need at least 70 litres. I should point out that I don't have hands-on experience with that particular driver. There are a few alternatives that function well in a relatively smaller volume, although the ones I'm familiar with are more expensive.

Also, if you're going to double the power handling of the driver, you need to make sure that the porting is adequate - or alter it.

Bear in mind that you'll likely have to take a jigsaw to the driver opening to accept a slightly larger chassis. You can easily measure that beforehand with reference to the Faital spec sheet.

Edited by stevie

The Kappalite 3015 used in the BF Compact works from about 60 litres up. It's probably a better bet than the Faital Pro if your cab is on the small side.The BMS 15N620 works in a 50-litre cab (I had one in an Ashdown Mini 15) and is in a different league to either of those. Unfortunately, it costs more, but it is available in 4 ohms if you can find one.