Why become a member? ×

Ashdown OriginAL valve preamp/DI

Merton

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, DaleASmith said:

As an ex owner of an ABM ( MK1 ) is it safe to say this isn't for me if I want the AMB tone?

I use the valve grind dial around 3pm and love that warm valve breakup. Best sounding amp I've had and looking to get another, but was looking at this as an alternative...

Hi @DaleASmith... absolutely... it is NOT the ABM... which is a pity as that was the impression I had 9from reading a lot before this particular thread of course).

The ABM tone is amazing... truly a win in my opinion.  This is a win too - but a different win.  It is a stunning pedal no doubt.  Are you looking for this pedal?

• Like 1

You can get near the ABM tone with it by lots of careful playing, mainly cutting on eq rather than adding, but it’s not exact as the ABM has a lot more tonal options, especially the 600 where it’s 9 band eq v 5 on the OriginAL.

• Like 2

@glassmoon thanks for the reply. What you have said is pretty much what I've read.

I'm after another ABM head after mine spontaneously combusted a month ago, and this pedal opened up the option to just buy a decent power amp and run a pedal setup, but with Ashdown tone..  

Edited by DaleASmith

3 hours ago, DaleASmith said:

@glassmoon thanks for the reply. What you have said is pretty much what I've read.

I'm after another ABM head after mine spontaneously combusted a month ago, and this pedal opened up the option to just buy a decent power amp and run a pedal setup, but with Ashdown tone..  

Have you tried getting it fixed by Ashdown, they’re great on the customer service aspect, and seem to be able to fix pretty much all of their amps if something goes wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lozz196 said:

Have you tried getting it fixed by Ashdown, they’re great on the customer service aspect, and seem to be able to fix pretty much all of their amps if something goes wrong.

That is 100% the truth - my old ABm 210 combo was making all sorts of weird noises - Guy from Ashdown stripped it, replaced one board, re-soldered a whack of it - put in new slider grips and gave it a hair cut, all for the princely sum of a great chat!!!!  And for that reason, I am Ashdown4Life.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Hi. I did contact them, but the parts alone made in none economical, along with the fact I wanted to swap to a head instead of a combo in any case. (this amp was originally a combo but I separated it from the 4x10 speakers).

No doubt about the quality of their customer service though...👍

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Back again with my Ashdown preamp. I must admit that I love the sound and it is a very underrated preamp IMO. I am not sure if it will last in my board because I really like to take with me as few pedals as I can, but I must say that I prefer to have it. Sounds really good. I use it as a valve DI and it gives some nice overdriven sound that fits perfectly in the mix. 

20240415_203534.thumb.jpg.003728a32d18662d2e85538bb73e1348.jpg 

• Like 2