Why become a member? ×

And Today's Contraption Is...

stewblack

19 hours ago, Maude said:

I was only thinking about this this morning as I am keen to make something similar. What do you think has happened, too much power? 

💥 POWER!! 💥

No such thing! The issue is with the inability to control it!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Maude said:

I was only thinking about this this morning as I am keen to make something similar. What do you think has happened, too much power? 

💥 POWER!! 💥

But yes I strongly suspect I gave it way too much juice.

Took delivery of two new exciters today. One male fowl-up straight away - bought the AR-30s and not the AR-50 which would have been better but ho hum, on with the show.

Why 2? Well it seems in the world of these little vibrating wallahs if you want wattage you end up buying a 4ohm speaker thus maximizing the output of the amp . My littlest amp is 200 watts so I bought two 8ohm exciters, wired them in series, attached them to the seat and off I go.

These are different from the previous speaker which got hot and melted. Better designed, don't get hot, and produce a different sound. They're more hi-fi is probably the best way to describe the difference. So good in fact that I can listen to music through my chair!

The trade off is that the bass is more 'precise' if that means anything to anyone. Whereas I used to hit a low E and feel my innards liquify this is a smaller, tighter sensation. It still shakes through the seat, but with less violence, it's also louder in the room so less good for late night noodling. However I am already scheming! Another two linked together in series and both sets then wired to one another in parallel would, if my maths is working, give me a 120 watt 8ohm speaker system which should be much more capable and thus not need to be run so hard.

I await, with a growing sense of nervous excitement to be told exactly why everything I have just said is wrong and in fact I can't possibly hear anything from the love seat because I don't have ears in my bum. Oh and lots of numbers I won't understand too. Bring it on!

• Haha 2