Why become a member? ×

Jamming on bass and just 'knowing' the chords

julietgreen

57 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

Just bought this at your behest.  Way, way over my head.  What are those little things like tadpoles on multiple washing lines?  If anyone wants it off me they're welcome.

I’ll take it - my copy was stolen 

Edited by Geek99

3 hours ago, lownote12 said:

Just bought this at your behest.  Way, way over my head.  What are those little things like tadpoles on multiple washing lines?  If anyone wants it off me they're welcome.

I'm no slave to the stave myself.  TAB me up spotty!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I'm no slave to the stave myself.  TAB me up spotty!

Can I say I like the phrase 'slave to the stave' whilst making it clear I have no opinion whatsoever concerning that argument.

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 21/07/2020 at 18:05, Dad3353 said:

From this perspective, there is, indeed, no real (as opposed to 'perceived'...) difference; one is only ever half-a-tone away from a musically-valid note. A duff note on the bass is quickly resolved by hammering or sliding up or down a fret (or semi-tone, if fretless...) and it'll fit, for sure. The rhythm has to be spot on, I'd agree, but that's easy on bass, too, as playing at high speed is seldom a requirement, and is, more often than not, even detrimental. Worst case is a couple of beats of sustained previous note, silence, or indeterminate 'plunk plunk' 'ghosted' notes to maintain timing but without any discernable tone.
It's also 'only the bass', so it doesn't bring plagues of locusts if there's a duff note or two in the evening's set. If, on the other hand, the evening consists of only duff notes, it's the others fault for not giving you the correct score sheets. ¬¬

And calling it in the wrong key because they think an A-7 chord at the start means it's in A-!

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Oh fornication the geetard was right - now I’m ashamed  

Actually, it could do, but it would be quite unusual. For instance, Joni Mitchell's 'Chelsea Morning' is in 'D', and opens with a 'D7' chord.

• Like 1