Hello all.

I'm really clutching at straws here but I thought I'd give it a go before going to a tech which I imagine I will need to do anyway.

I've been playing for years but I'm embarrassingly lacking in technical know-how.

So... I have the head/amp from a Peavey DataBass 450watt combo - it blew the 15" BW 4ohm speaker years ago - apparently a design fault that happened a lot. I have just picked up a Trace Elliot 200watt 2x10" 8ohm cab.

Is there any way of combining these to have something usable?

I appreciate any comments/thoughts.

Thank you,

Chris.

Posted (edited)

Yes, plug one into the other and be careful with the volume level.

There's nothing to stop you plugging a 450W head into a 200W cabinet, just be careful with the volume.

I'm assuming the head has a speaker output.  If not it would be a simple job to add one.

Edited by James Nada

Shouldn't be a problem at all. The amp will be chucking about 250ish Watts with an 8 ohm cab but let your ears guide you. 

When it starts distorting/breaking up, turn it down.

I assume you've removed the head from the combo so just need a speaker lead from head to cab.

What I remember from that combo there is no decent box for the amp itself, so some woodworking may be in order. The switching output was optimized for a 4 ohm load. The output leads were just two wires with Abigo type connectors.

Do not push your TE too much and the set may be functional. This comment is a bit weak, as many bassists tend to drive their equipment to the limits depending on circumstances like "I was a bit drunk",  and "the others were noisy and I turned a bit more"...

Posted (edited)

Thank you all for your replies - I'm relieved that it sounds pretty simple. I just need to double check a couple of things before I go ahead. On the back of the TE cab are a 3 pin female  point with a jack input beside it labelled 'input' - AND a 3 pin male point with jack input beside it labelled 'link'. On the back of the Peavey amp(separated from original combo) is just a 3 pin male labelled 'Balanced line out'. There is of course two points underneath that had wires connecting to the BW speaker. I apologise again for my lack of knowledge - what do I connect to what? Thank you for any replies.

Chris

Edit  All 3 pin sockets mentioned are round.

Edited by apostrophe

The Balanced Line Out is DI output for connecting to a mixer or a slave amp. If it doesn't have a speaker output, you could wire the two points that were connected to the old speaker to a jack socket, and use this as a speaker output. You then use a jack-jack speaker cable to connect that socket to the cab.

• Like 1

Ok. Firstly thank you for taking the time to respond. 

I have a wire that used to connect to the BW speaker in the combo - it connects to the points under the amp with plastic connectors  but are bare wire at the end that used to connect to the speaker. Are you saying that these two bare wires could be wired-up to a jack? If so, do I connect it to the 'link' or 'input' in the TE cab?. Are the 3pin sockets I mentioned not connectable?

I'm sorry if I'm doing your head in!

I hope to get something working. Thank you for your patience.

Chris

Yeh you could just wire the two wires that were attached to the speaker, to the two points on a mono jack socket. Then you'd use a speaker cable to connect that socket to the input on the TE cab. The link socket is to connect a second cab.

The 3 pin sockets are XLR. On the amp, this is a DI out and will not be able to drive a speaker. On the cab it's just another connection that you could use instead of jacks, but XLR speaker leads are less common.

Right - I think I'm nearly there. I hugely appreciate your time here. So... I have a connector wire, attached to the terminals on the under-side of the Peavey amp, with two bare wires left - do I connect these to a quarter inch jack and plug straight in to the TE input? I don't understand where the speaker cable comes in to play.

I feel we are nearly there!

Thank you so much.

Chris

A photo would really help. You removed two wires from the speaker that blew, right? These two wires could be soldered onto a jack socket. You might have to drill a new hole in the amp's case to fit the socket to, then you would use this socket as a speaker output. Use a jack-jack speaker cable to connect this socket to the input socket on the cab

I guess you could just wire a jack plug onto the two wires but I doubt they'd be long enough to stretch to a cab underneath the amp, and it wouldn't be a very professional solution

Yay!!! 

Thank you so much.

I've got a pretty decent sound. Hoo-fookin-rah!!

Rock on folks - this site is GREAT!

Thank you again

Chris

• Like 2

I've simply connected the wires that were connected to the speaker in the combo to a jack plug and plugged that straight in to the 'input 'jack of the TE cab and I have 'sound'!.(obviously the other end of these are connected to the two points on the underside of the Peavey amp)

It's very crudely connected right now but it seems to work with decent volume and the EQ seems to do what it is supposed to do, so I assume happy days?

Thank you,

Chris

• Like 1

hah, yes, I hope you've insulated the bare wires somehow, be careful

It would be tidier, and probably safer, to install a socket properly

• Like 1

In all honesty I've got some sound out of it, so I know it works! I definitely have NOT insulated it or followed any safety standards, so I will now take it to someone that can make sure it is safe. At least I know it works and I won't need to fork out loads of dosh!

Thank you for your huge patience.

Chris

• Like 1

I used the cabinet part of a Trace combo (122HSMX), added a speaker terminal and plugged all sorts of amps into it, including a QSC PLX 1202 bridged to give 1200wrms into 4ohms. The drivers were 2x10 Celestions rated at 160w and 8ohms in total.

The cab took more than anyone could withstand in terms of volume and never showed any signs of distress. I didn't /don't use any nasty fx like an octave or synth, but nor did I run a compressor.

I reckon you're fairly safe with the 450w Peavey, as long as you don't run it too hard for too long.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Deedee
      I'm selling several classic Trace Elliot amplifiers from my collection.
      Next up is this AH250. These classic Mk V amplifiers were manufactured in the UK from around 1986 to 1989 at a time when build quality counted for more than cost and weight.
      AH250 GP11 11 band graphic eq Twin inputs Graphic In/Out switch Pre-shape In/Out switch Foot switch socket (not supplied) Graphic/Flat level slider Noise reduction In/Out DI Out with Pre/post switch Effects Send/Return Line In/Out Signal Out Low Level 250 watts at 4 ohms Min load 4 ohms Weight approx 21kg These are a rare find in good condition and I'm pretty confident that this is one of the best examples around. There is some scratching to the tolex on top of the amp sleeve and I’ve fitted a new handle to the case as the original was missing, but other than that it’s is in great original condition. This head was serviced (at some cost) at the start of the year by Keld Ampworks at Newark.
      EDIT - I forgot to mention it has a 2-speed fan. Very quiet on 'Slow', obviously a lot louder on 'Fast' but it would need to be a pretty hot gig to use that anyway.
      EDIT 2 - For complete transparency (for those of a nasally sensitive disposition) I must point out that there is a faint smell of smoky pubs and clubs gone by when the amp is running. I took it apart a while ago and cleaned everything I could, so it's not dirty and it's not 'stinky old carpet covered cab' kind of smelly, but if you are offended by the smell of smoke and were wanting an amp to sit in your living room full time this probably isn't the one for you. If you're going to be using it for rehearsals and gigs you'd never notice. Too honest me sometimes! 👼 
      Any questions or further pics required, please ask.
      Collection or meet up preferred as being around waiting for a courier could be a bit tricky at the moment, but I don’t mind driving a fair way to meet up (strictly observing Covid distancing of course).

• By Deedee
      I'm selling several classic Trace Elliot amplifiers from my collection.
      First up is this AH300. These classic Series 6 amplifiers were manufactured in the UK from around 1989 to 1992/3 at a time when build quality counted for more than cost and weight.
      AH300 GP12 12 band graphic eq Passive and Active bass inputs Graphic In/Out switch Pre-shape In/Out switch Foot switch socket Graphic/Flat level slider DI Out with Pre/post switch Effects Send/Return Line In/Out Headphone socket 300 watts at 4 ohms Min load 4 ohms Weight approx 23kg As you can see from the photos this is in superb condition and I'm pretty confident that this is one of the best examples around. It comes with a heavy duty flight case which is in good order as I replaced the only dodgy section of foam not too long back.
      Any questions or futher photos required, please ask.
      Collection or meet up preferred as being around waiting for a courier could be a bit tricky at the moment, but I don’t mind driving a fair way to meet up (strictly observing Covid distancing of course).

• By Deedee
      The cull continues.......
      Trace Elliot 1x10" cab. These extension cabs were made to suit the BLX combo dimensions, but can obviously be used with anything.
      150 watts 8 ohms Original Celestion speaker approx. 470 wide, 330 deep, 360 high Weighs just under 16kgs It's in great condition and comes with a vinyl dust cover. Classic Trace sound and solid build but in a small and perfectly formed package.

• By mikeycrikey
      Not had this long. Bought from Ash on here. Alas as much as I love the look and feel of it am more of a Precision man so decided to move this on.
      Peavey Foundation, in fantastic condition for its age. Think this is  a  90s version and has the highly regarded Super Ferrite pickups.
      The neck pickup has been  rewound by Aron Armstrong. The neck is more like a jazz and is 38mm at the nut. Adding a touch of the bridge pickup gets very close to nailing the Jazz sound.
      I prefer the sound of the front pickup which is much more Precision like. Can meet up or possibly deliver in the North West. Postage is also a possibility

• By bloke_zero
      £175 posted (in a softcase) OBO
      For your consideration a 1995 (or there abouts) Peavey Forum Bass. The second iteration with a single VFL humbucker and active preamp (Axcel I think it said on the PCB?)
      “Quality equipment for working musicians at fair prices.” - Hartley Peavey
      This bass has seen active service and as such don't be afraid to make an offer if you think the price is too high. It has chips out of the body all over and a slight ding in the fingerboard, nothing that affects playability.  There is plenty of wear in the frets and the neck is straight and true.
      It's a great sounding bass with  an 18V active preamp providing plenty of body.  Here is a little snippet I recorded today after putting copper shielding (before it was impossibly noisy):
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/cyky3rkuzw3qpue/Peavy Forum EQ.wav?dl=0
      Recorded direct with a little bit of compression on the way in this shows the EQ with straight, bass cut, bass boost, treble boost and last treble cut.
      EQ is shelving with +/-12dB at 96Hz for bass and 255Hz for treble, which as you can hear above is plenty.
      Specs
      Neck: Maple with rosewood fingerboard. 1.7″ at the nut with a depth of about 0.75" at the 3rd fret with a fairly flat radius.  It's a nice shallow C profile, very playable.
      Frets: 21 nickel-silver
      Body: Swamp Ash or Alder, poly finish
      Pickup: harmonically placed VFL Plus active unit
      Preamp: 18v +-12db shelving EQ bass and treble
      Weight: 9lb 10oz
      Condition
      Overall it's a fun bass to play, a bit heavy but it never bothered me. No neck dive, plenty of 'meat and potatoes' tone with the active preamp. Good EQ frequencies make it easy to dial in dub or new wave. Great American craftmanship!
      Good
      Frets have some wear but minor - see pics
      Electronics in good shape and benefited from copper shielding, pots quiet, preamp quiet and powerful
      Very playable and dependable instrument that has been gigged many times and will hopefully gig many times more
      Wide range of tones, good pickup
      Easy to get in tune and intonated correctly - bridge saddles in good shape.
      Bad
      Some fret buzz on the D string at the 12th fret - frets could use some leveling - it's set to Fender standard 2.5mm and is barely noticeable there - if you wanted to go lower it would be problematic at that fret on D - 13th fret needs slightly lowering for the D.
      Many chips in finish
      Had to put some solder on the E tuning peg where it is slightly bent and was rattling (now silent and functions well, but bend is noticeable)
      Ugly
      The truss rod allen nut is a bit mashed - it's how it came to me.  I have never had an issue with getting purchase, but you need to be patient and make sure the key is in before turning.
      Here is a link to a bit of Peavey Forum history: https://www.vintageguitar.com/14373/peavey-forum-basses/