Why become a member? ×

Are Cog Effects still a going concern?

BillyBass

• 1 month later...

Excellent news on FB and the Cog site. The website already reflects a new model where preorders can be placed for some of the pedals. The T-16 is still out of stock but I think it was mentioned they may be back in December. Hopefully this will give more people a chance to play these brilliant pedals!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, admiralchew said:

Excellent news on FB and the Cog site. The website already reflects a new model where preorders can be placed for some of the pedals. The T-16 is still out of stock but I think it was mentioned they may be back in December. Hopefully this will give more people a chance to play these brilliant pedals!

That was a direct result of my comment on his Facebook page the other day. So glad he took it on board. I can’t have been the only one who missed out due to never having ordered from him before. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

@admiralchew I’ve mentioned you were after a T-70 as I assume that is still the case. 

Haha, thanks very much. It absolutely is still the case. It’s my white whale at this point so I’d love to play one, although this year has been a good one for playing more Cog pedals.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, HoorayForAnonyms said:

Gah, too slow. Thanks for the heads-up @Quatschmacher

Well done on getting one. I think you’ve been wanting a T-47 for a while. 

I’m sorry you missed out, too. Things look brighter in terms of regular releases though, which is great. The R-1 is definitely worth it too; it does something different from the T-47 but it’s a lot of fun. Good luck on the next release or finding one in the meantime!

4 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Damn, it’s non-Saturday Special Delivery so no new toy for the weekend. 

Im expecting a C4 patch that emulates it from you!

I had one in my cart, and passed. I was impressed with myself, but i so didnt need it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lidl e said:

I had one in my cart, and passed. I was impressed with myself, but i so didnt need it. 

I don’t really need it either but it’s an itch I have wanted to scratch for a good few years. (My very first octaver was an original T-16 and from memory it sounded better than most of the others I’ve had since then.) I figure if I decide not to keep it, I can easily sell it for what I paid. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lidl e said:

Not sure I’ll get time: life stuff is pretty gruelling at the moment and I’m beta testing/co-developing some exciting new goodies when I can get time. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

Not exactly set up. Most of my pedals are still boxed up at the moment. Just dug out the MXR for comparison. I’m finding the filter at about 1 o’clock gets closest to the OC-2 thing. The more open settings are pretty gritty; I’d likely not use them on their own but probably would sound good going into an envelope filter. Being able to further lower the lowpass filter cutoff frequency on the octave down does give some nice fatness when blending in the clean signal.

For soloed octave down I think I might slightly prefer the MXR; there’s not much difference, mostly in when the note starts to “bloom” (higher frequencies coming in) after being struck. It varies from note to note as to when it happens. On the Cog, the bloom happens slower overall I think. 

For dry+octave I think the Cog has the edge as the octave doesn’t seem to dominate the blend as much as the MXR does. When setting up, I matched the clean volumes of both pedals and then the octave volumes of both pedals (with dry muted) and then blended at those noted settings. (Filter on Cog at 1 o’clock to tone match.) Oddly though, I find I have to back the octave down off on the MXR when blended to get it to sound as transparent as the Cog.

The MXR dry signal seems to be at unity at noon. The Cog seems to be at unity on maximum. With the octave down it’s almost the opposite. When the MXR octave down is at maximum the Cog matches it at its noon position.

Having the switch the two channels is really nice.

The Cog has a slightly dirtier tone overall. (I don’t mean this negatively at all; it seems to have a bit more “character” whereas the MXR is clean, almost to the point of sterility. It reminds me of the slight grit in vintage synths compared to modern ones. I like it.) This might be something to do with the tracking circuit; the MXR tracks a smidge better for me on the “problem” notes and isn’t as audible when just nudging strings across the pickup as the Cog. It could easily also be to to do with the aforementioned “bloom” happening later so there aren’t as many mid frequencies fighting with each other at the beginning of the note. 

Not sure if I’ll keep it yet. Can’t fault it at all, I just am not playing much bass at present, have a thousand and one more pressing things to do and could probably use the money for more pressing family stuff. 

IMG_9238.jpeg

Edited by Quatschmacher
Added info, corrected error.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2