Why become a member? ×

Anybody ever played one of these?

Twigman

[url="http://www.fender.co.uk/products//search.php?partno=0350100306"]http://www.fender.co.uk/products//search.p...rtno=0350100306[/url]

Ashbory Bass

[quote]The Ashbory Bass brings back what was referred to as "the epitome of originality: the most innovative bass guitar ever created" in Guild's® 1987 literature. The 18-inch fretless scale and super lightweight body make it easy to create the growl of an upright or the punch of a standard electric bass. The patented Ashworth transducer and the silicone rubber strings are what make the Ashbory so unique, but the sound for live and recording applications is what makes it a necessity for any recording studio and a treat for any live performance. Available in Black, Frost Red, and Moon Blue. A sturdy, specially designed gig bag in included.[/quote]

I'm probably gonna make myself look like a total ignoramus here but I've never seen one nor even heard of them before!!

An 18" scale?
Silicon rubber strings?

WTF?

Tell me about them

Played one for a few weeks. As mentioned before, they're very strange to play/adjust to. Once mastered, they do sound great. If you do get one with the silicone strings, rub talc on the strings and board as it cuts down on the friction between the strings and your fingers.... Unless you like burned finger tips!!!!!

Got one. It is indeed a complete pig to play, especially if you only pull it out once in a blue moon. Like Clarky said, it's very difficult for intonation. Up beyond the 12th fret, a couple of millimetres can slide you up a semitone. It would take [b]a lot[/b] of practice to become proficient. I haven't given it a lot of practice. Draw your own conclusion.

The sound, though... mmmmmm. Lovely. It's like an acoustic upright and an electric fretless made sweet, sweet love and produced a stunted baby called Ashbory. Basically, the E and the A string sound really fretless-ish, while the D and G have more of a woody twang and thump. My Ashbory has more bottom end than my SUB. I don't know how it does it on an 18" scale length. There may be some sort of witchcraft or voodoo inside.

The best thing about the Ashbory is confounding people's expectations. You whip it out and people laugh (why does that sound so familiar to me?), but then you plug it in and let rip. Jaws drop, eyes widen, assumptions are cast aside, silicone is worshipped... that sort of thing. Fabulous little bass. And very light and portable.

I've always thought the sound would be brilliant for a little jazz trio or something, but I don't know any jazz musicians and I can't play it well enough. :)

Downside = balance. Horrible. The strap buttons (one on front, one on back) are about 6" apart, so the neck dive is ridiculous.