Why become a member? ×

Mandolins - show us yer mini axes!

Born 2B Mild

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='1312364' date='Jul 22 2011, 09:14 AM']I was checking out a Brunswick that was similar to that one,but it was'nt as nice to play as my Stagg.I'll check a Rally out,also got GAS for a Mandobird.[/quote]

I recently bought a Mandobird on a silly whim. It is a very silly instrument indeed, but in a grey depressing world, it's fantastic to have an instrument that makes me giggle every time I think about it! :)

Another major advantage is that I can play it sitting down, whereas I could never find a comfortable way of holding a traditional mandolin/a when seated.

[quote name='mart' post='1312385' date='Jul 22 2011, 09:34 AM']I recently bought a Mandobird on a silly whim. It is a very silly instrument indeed, but in a grey depressing world, it's fantastic to have an instrument that makes me giggle every time I think about it! :)

Another major advantage is that I can play it sitting down, whereas I could never find a comfortable way of holding a traditional mandolin/a when seated.[/quote]

What are the mandobirds actually like?, I'm a bass player, and was in Denmark St at the weekend, and their everywhere, had a little play, and it was very cool, but as you say, very silly, and i nearly bought one, but thought i'd sleep on it, and i'm glad i did! I'd still like one, but wondering if they are worth £130??

Are they actually proper playable instruments, or a bit of folly??

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1314961' date='Jul 24 2011, 06:09 PM']What are the mandobirds actually like?, I'm a bass player, and was in Denmark St at the weekend, and their everywhere, had a little play, and it was very cool, but as you say, very silly, and i nearly bought one, but thought i'd sleep on it, and i'm glad i did! I'd still like one, but wondering if they are worth £130??

Are they actually proper playable instruments, or a bit of folly??

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

I would say they are proper playable instruments. I've never played a high-end mandolin or mandola (only sub £200 instruments), so maybe it wouldn't meet your standards if you are used to high class instruments. But for me it is a perfectly ok beast.

I have read lots of comments about the pickup not detecting the E string well enough, giving an unbalanced sound, but I haven't had that problem - I've tweaked the set-up and it all sounds fine. The only slight issue is the intonation. I've got the 8-string and it only has a 2-screws for moving the saddle, so you can't set the intonation precisely (whereas the 4-string has 4 individually adjustable saddle pieces). But it's not yet enough of an issue to make me buy another bridge.

I guess, at the end of the day, it depends on your needs. I play lots of bass, quite a lot of guitar, but only play mandolin/a for about one song every year or so. If your main instrument is a mando, you probably shouldn't be looking at these things (except possibly as a 4th or 5th instrument!)

And the fact that I can play it sat on the sofa means that I'm picking it up to play much more often than my traditional-shaped mandola. So that's gotta be a good thing.

[quote name='mart' post='1314996' date='Jul 24 2011, 06:55 PM']I would say they are proper playable instruments. I've never played a high-end mandolin or mandola (only sub £200 instruments), so maybe it wouldn't meet your standards if you are used to high class instruments. But for me it is a perfectly ok beast.

I have read lots of comments about the pickup not detecting the E string well enough, giving an unbalanced sound, but I haven't had that problem - I've tweaked the set-up and it all sounds fine. The only slight issue is the intonation. I've got the 8-string and it only has a 2-screws for moving the saddle, so you can't set the intonation precisely (whereas the 4-string has 4 individually adjustable saddle pieces). But it's not yet enough of an issue to make me buy another bridge.

I guess, at the end of the day, it depends on your needs. I play lots of bass, quite a lot of guitar, but only play mandolin/a for about one song every year or so. If your main instrument is a mando, you probably shouldn't be looking at these things (except possibly as a 4th or 5th instrument!)

And the fact that I can play it sat on the sofa means that I'm picking it up to play much more often than my traditional-shaped mandola. So that's gotta be a good thing.[/quote]

Thanks Mart, useful info. I only play bass, and l just fell in love with this mini firebird/T-bird. Playing it was fun, with little two finger chords, but i've never played a mando, so was considering 'branching out', there price was £129, which i thought was a steal for aelectric one that looked this good. I may have a punt!

I had a chat with Hilary James at a gig once and she didn't rate the Mandobass much. Even she said your better off with a double bass. The mandobass just doesn't have the volume. Bit like an acoustic bass then.

Here's another bouzouki. My Fyle Octavius with 25" scale, shorter than the regular Irish bouzouki.