On 04/06/2020 at 03:38, mcnach said:

Just that.

Since the lock down I've been playing guitar more and... I keep wishing for a Telecaster. Instead of that, I bought a PRS SE I found locally as I was missing the dual humbucker thing (I sold all my guitars except for a Stratocaster and a P90 Les Paul type).... and I still want a Tele.

I think I'll probably get a Squier Classic Vibe, but there's a few other cheaper alternatives and I'm wondering if any of them are decent. In particular the Harley Benton ones look good and people seem to like the basses. Any experiences?

Gotta be maple fingerboard, ideally lacquered/tinted, but definitely maple regardless.

November 2020 edit: 

Metallic red SX and metallic purple Classic Vibe Squier ended up being the winners... but quite a few other cool alternatives out there.

If you exclude my handwound exotic pickup choice, my Tele cost me four hundred dollars with the warmoth Tele neck. I could've went with a 51 P pickup, and totaled at less than 500, but what's the fun in that? With my pickups, it's about a grand total.

20210301_174520.jpg

20210130_120303.jpg

20210120_202257.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JeezyMcNuggles said:

If you exclude my handwound exotic pickup choice, my Tele cost me four hundred dollars with the warmoth Tele neck. I could've went with a 51 P pickup, and totaled at less than 500, but what's the fun in that? With my pickups, it's about a grand total.

20210301_174520.jpg

20210130_120303.jpg

20210120_202257.jpg

As I saw the top of the first image I was going to say "I meant 'standard' 6-string guitars" but when I saw the rest I froze. WHAT A BEAUTY!!!

😍

I also love the choice of pickups and their placement. Well done! I would love to hear it in action but it's best I go away quickly before I get ideas :D

• Like 1

I felt inspired by this thread and after selling some bits, I bought myself a Harley Benton TE52 the other week. Cost £134 all in and I had enough for a second hand Orange Terror Stamp to go with it! I don't have a guitar cab yet and my bass cab is 4ohms, so can't put the terror stamp through that, but with a cab sim in a DAW, it's the sound I was after in my head. Two very good bits of kit!

PXL_20210405_092414737.jpg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, beans-on-toast said:

http://www.pitbullguitars.com in Australia.

They sell kits. Nice Hofner 500/1 type.  They offer a telecaster kit that looks like a good value. 

They have a lot of nice stuff, thank you :)

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By AJ567
      ALL PRICES INCLUDE POSTAGE

Wampler Faux Tape Echo v2 Delay - £175
      Compact, full featured tape delay emulator which sounds glorious on bass! Great alternative to the Strymon El Capistan. Analog dry through, with digital repeats layered on top. True bypass. Can be 9V battery powered, and current draw is low (<50ma).
      Mint condition. Comes with box, manual and even it's own little dustbag!
      Link to full details here.

Barn 3 OX9 for Eventide H9 - £90
      The official footswitch adapter, opens up a world of possibilities!
      Good condition, comes with original box

Tap Switch for Source Audio pedals - £25
      Tap switch built by yours truly to Source Audio specs. Built into a Hammond 1590a enclosure using the highest quality parts available. Works perfectly and it is a very handy addition indeed!
      NB this is specifically for Source Audio pedals - connects into the control port using the TRRS cable (included). 
      Mint condition.

Expression pedal - £35
      Expression pedal built by yours truly. This has a range control knob on the side, which you can use to limit the sweep at the toe end. Inspired by the Moog EP-3 which also has this feature.
      Uses an official Dunlop expression pot, rated to 1million cycles and Switchcraft TRS jack.
      10k-ohm linear, TRS, "tip hot". 
      I can change the setup to "ring hot", or move the range control to the heel end if you like, just DM me. 

SOLD Harley Benton Solderless Patch Cable Kit - £20 - BRAND NEW - 2 available
      SOLD Line6 DC3H power supply for Helix, HX Stomp etc - £20 - NEW
      SOLD Rockboard flat Midi cables - £10 for the lot
      SOLD Fender Micro DI + cabsim - £40
      SOLD Digitech Jamman Express XT Stereo looper - £65
    • By Slug Ice
      1 set of Duncan Designed Jazz Bass Pickups from a very early Vintage Modified Jazz Bass. 
      £25 Inc. UK postage. 

• By yourfurryfiend
      In very good condition, plays well. I find the pickups a little hot, in a good way.
      I prefer P/PJ basses so this doesn't get that much play, mostly sitting pretty on the wall hanger.
      Comes with a Fender Deluxe gig bag which the shop very kindly gave me, even though it should have been for a Mexican Fender (Wunjo, Denmark Street I believe).
      The bag is generally in a good condition.
      Will courier at buyer's expense.
      Body
          Body Material: Soft Maple
          Body Finish: Polyurethane
          Body Shape: Jazz Bass
      Neck
          Neck Material: Maple
          Neck Finish: Vintage Tint Gloss
          Neck Shape: "C" Shape
          Scale Length: 34" (864 mm)
          Fingerboard: Maple
          Fingerboard Radius: 9.5" (241 mm)
          Number of Frets: 20
          Fret Size: Medium Jumbo
          String Nut: Synthetic Bone
          Nut Width: 1.5" (38.1 mm)
          Position Inlays: Block

• By Jolltax
      I work on rotation abroad - backwards and forwards to Africa every 4 weeks, I am a beginner and don't want to take my 'good' bass to work and back every 4 weeks on a plane.
      My plan is to get a cheapy that I can practice on whilst away and (provided it survives the journey) leave it there, so  I have been looking at Harley Benton basses, trying to decide whether I should get the JB-20 or push the boat out for the JB-75 (they seem to have stopped making the 4 string MB-4 stingray copy which I also fancied). I like the other HB cheap basses (PB, PJ) but am worried about the thicker necks making them more difficult to play.
      I had originally thought I could pick up something beaten-up but still functional second hand, but to honest locally they are all more expensive than a new HB! Additionally I am a noob so I don't really know what I am doing and am quite likely to buy something horrible.
      Currently working from home but might get remobilised in May / June so need something by then.
      Only criteria is :
      Good learner instrument Will have a chance of surviving the journey Style isn't super important I am a competent(ish) solderer and have some electronics / DIY experience but would prefer to buy rather than build.
      What do you guys think I should get, any recommendations?
    • By Zummerbass
      Bought from Basschatter Marc S in Nov 2017. PJ mods, Entwhistle p/ups done under his ownership ( Dave Dearnley iirc). The work has been done to a very high standard. I’ve barely played it and gigged it twice.Playing my Jazz bass almost exclusively now but even so I think I may regret letting this one go. Excellent condition just a couple of minor scratches on rear of body. Usual Classic Vibe build quality,one of the darkest rosewood boards i’ve ever seen. Weight- just a smidge over 9lb/4kg. I’ll include the gig bag it came with. Collection preferred (i’m not far from M5  junction 26)but could do a meet up.