Why become a member? ×

Treble pot signal cut out

steviedee

54 minutes ago, steviedee said:

It’s a Bass Collection, the pots were a bit wobbly and I did use a bit of contact cleaner but maybe needs to be more targeted.

Wobbly? Has the whole pot shifted/rotated and is shorting out somewhere?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/05/2020 at 09:38, steviedee said:

It’s a Bass Collection, the pots were a bit wobbly and I did use a bit of contact cleaner but maybe needs to be more targeted.

What cleaner did you use? You only should use Deoxit D5 and then only the tiniest amount. Way too many pots have been ruined by the application of 'cleaner.'

Edited by BassmanPaul
  • Thanks 1

If it's an SGC Nanyo Bass Collection, the pre-amps are the weak link. It's 30 years old, or more. I've got 3 of them and have changed all the pre-amps.

Depending on which pre-amp it is, ( I'm aware of 3 different ones ), I may have the values if you need to swap it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

What cleaner did you use? You only should use Deoxit D5 and then only the tiniest amount. Way too many pots have been ruined by the application of 'cleaner.'

Just Maplins contact cleaner!

16 hours ago, BassBunny said:

If it's an SGC Nanyo Bass Collection, the pre-amps are the weak link. It's 30 years old, or more. I've got 3 of them and have changed all the pre-amps.

Depending on which pre-amp it is, ( I'm aware of 3 different ones ), I may have the values if you need to swap it.

I'll open it up and post a pic!

Here is a pic of the pre! I opened the bass up and noticed one of the pots was touching the circuit board and another loose pot was causing the board to move when maxed out either way causing it to short.... seems fixed now!

• Like 1