Why become a member? ×

Status 'Headless' strings

Mr.T

Is there any particular advantage in using double ball-end strings as against single ball end?
It seems as though my recently acquired Status 2000 can use either, and using single ball-end would save me from keeping two types of string in stock.

Same on my 3000 but it came sans grub screws so I've always used double ball ends. I can get the screws from Status but haven't been arsed to date.

Other thing is I'm not sure - other than trial and error - how I'd go about judging the string length to tighten the screw down , I might end up with not enough or too much of he bridge 'ball holder' thingy showing. I reckoned if I got it wrong I might have string up near the head end weakened by a screw dent.

Be nice to have the greater string choice though.

The double ball strings are much easier to change - I can change my Steinberger in about 3 or 4 minutes.

Having said that, in a crunch, I've used normal strings, and they're not that much more difficult. It's still a lot easier than restringing a normal bass.

Biggest problem with DBE strings is thé limited range available. I've ended up sticking with GHS strings, purely because I like the gauge (40,58,80,102), and they sound good enough (although not perfect).

Double ball is just that bit more secure.. I once had a single ball unravel in the clamp hole and pull out. Only once though.
Couldn't tell any difference sound-wise.
At least if the clamp is there you can use single ball in an emergency.

[quote name='Golchen' post='425247' date='Mar 4 2009, 05:25 PM']Sounds trivial, but I don't think I'd like the sharp ends sticking out off the front of my bass. I totally love the ease of swapping double ball strings anyway.[/quote]

Far from trivial, they can leave some nasty cuts on your hand. For some daft reason, I bear those scars!! :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='Mr.T' post='424846' date='Mar 4 2009, 10:34 AM']Is there any particular advantage in using double ball-end strings as against single ball end?
It seems as though my recently acquired Status 2000 can use either, and using single ball-end would save me from keeping two types of string in stock.[/quote]

isnt the idea that more brands and types are available at sale prices being single ball

seems like a good idea to use single ball for that if you can

[quote name='mrcrow' post='425346' date='Mar 4 2009, 05:41 PM']isnt the idea that more brands and types are available at sale prices being single ball

seems like a good idea to use single ball for that if you can[/quote]

I'd personally go for double ball ends, speaking as a long-time Status player...

Best to get in touch with [url="http://www.status-graphite.com"]Status[/url] - their own brand `Hotwires' are superb strings and can be purchased in bulk hence cheaper pricing...

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='425351' date='Mar 4 2009, 06:45 PM']I'd personally go for double ball ends, speaking as a long-time Status player...

Best to get in touch with [url="http://www.status-graphite.com"]Status[/url] - their own brand `Hotwires' are superb strings and can be purchased in bulk hence cheaper pricing...[/quote]

I've never had the chance to try the Status strings, but have heard heaps of people rave about them.

Do you know who the manufacturer is? Or is that a trade secret?

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='425399' date='Mar 4 2009, 06:30 PM']As they are hand wound in the UK I'd guess Newtone makes them.

Newtone are great strings.

Peter[/quote]

Not sure who makes them - however, if Newtone do, then they've improved a million percent - tried some years ago (circa '95, purchased from my good friends Jon and Dave at The Embassy - what a great place that was - they fuelled my GAS big-time!) and they were not that great to be honest!

[quote name='Mr.T' post='425841' date='Mar 5 2009, 11:01 AM']Thanks for the replies.

I assume that Roto's and Elites DBE strings will fit?
(I tend to always use 40-100 Roto's on my headed basses).[/quote]

Yes, definitely.

Other options are LaBella, Picato, D'Addario and GHS (off the top of my head). I'm sure there are more, I just can't thin of them right now.

I've used Elites recently, which were OK. Picato were OK as well, not as good as the Elites, and I think they only do 45-105. As I said above, I currently use the GHS set, which I'm quite happy with.

[quote name='bassaussie' post='426014' date='Mar 5 2009, 12:09 PM']Yes, definitely.

Other options are LaBella, Picato, D'Addario and GHS (off the top of my head). I'm sure there are more, I just can't thin of them right now.

I've used Elites recently, which were OK. Picato were OK as well, not as good as the Elites, and I think they only do 45-105. As I said above, I currently use the GHS set, which I'm quite happy with.[/quote]
Picato only advertise 45-105, but as long as we don't cause them major stress at a busy time they'll actually make anthing within reason. See my custom set: [url="http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/3542"]http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/produ...roducts_id/3542[/url] :)

Ok, I have ordered up a set of DBE Elites 40-100.

I have another question....
The 4 screws that hold on the access cover for the tuners also hold the tuner assembly to the body of the bass.
I assume then, that I should slacken off all the strings before removing this cover.... In order to take the tension off these screws?

(Does that make sense?).

[quote name='Mr.T' post='426945' date='Mar 6 2009, 09:40 AM']Ok, I have ordered up a set of DBE Elites 40-100.

The 4 screws that hold on the access cover for the tuners also hold the tuner assembly to the body of the bass.
I assume then, that I should slacken off all the strings before removing this cover.... In order to take the tension off these screws?

(Does that make sense?).[/quote]

Hold on thar sir!

Theres no need to remove the cover plate - simply slacken the strings using the `tuner' knobs and the jaw that holds the string in the bridge will appear at the `front' of the assembly - lift the string out and then replace with new one!

[quote name='Mr.T' post='426945' date='Mar 6 2009, 09:40 AM']Ok, I have ordered up a set of DBE Elites 40-100.

(Does that make sense?).[/quote]
Yes thats what holds it on so defo slacken the strings before you undo them! but why do you want to remove the cover?

Will.

[quote name='Mr.T' post='427136' date='Mar 6 2009, 01:00 PM']Oooooops!

I didn't realise that the string retainers would slacken off enough to appear from under the cover... (doh).
Thought it was a strange design.

Thanks guys.[/quote]

If you slacken them too far, the tuner knobs will unscrew from the retainers - just to let you know! Funnily enough, Guitarist magazine's review of a Series II model back in '84 did a similar thing - they took the cover plate off to change the strings - then put an `addendum' in the following issue to say that the string changing system was the quickest on the market. I really must get out more eh?!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='427664' date='Mar 6 2009, 11:13 PM']Guitarist magazine's review of a Series II model back in '84 did a similar thing - they took the cover plate off to change the strings - then put an `addendum' in the following issue to say that the string changing system was the quickest on the market. I really must get out more eh?![/quote]

I am glad that I am not alone in that. :)

I was thinking that it seemed odd, needing a screwdriver to change strings!
It must be my enquiring mind... See a cover and must look to see what's underneath it.

The Steinberger-orignated bridge/tuner system is also similar to that used on Statii (prior to the introduction of the Monorail-style bridge units), in that you slacken the tuners to drive the retainers out from beneath the unit cover, insert the ball-ends into the head(less) end, drop the other ends into the retainers and tighten the tuners (causing the retainers to retreat back under the cover again)
Sounds complicated, but isn't.
Takes all of 10 seconds.

I've only got the licensed version on a Hohner B2A fiver. It's still an excellent design, though. Very solid, too.

In spite of recent comments (CK, methinks!) about real men not playing headless basses, I really like the minimalist vibe that they offer, plus some of the other advantages (balance, overall weight, a seeming reduction in deadspots, the inability to knock them out of tune etc.)

[quote name='Golchen' post='425247' date='Mar 4 2009, 04:25 PM']Sounds trivial, but I don't think I'd like the sharp ends sticking out off the front of my bass. I totally love the ease of swapping double ball strings anyway.[/quote]
Christ , I hadn't thought of that. Put some poor sod's eye out on stage I should think. That's def. stopped any thoughts of me trying regular strings on mine.